Western Precooling is the leading full-service provider of precooling equipment, facilities and services in the fresh produce industry. We are proud of what we have accomplished and the quality of services we provide our customers. At the same time, we are always pushing to improve. The Safety Manager brings a combination of enthusiasm and energy by ensuring Western Precooling and its affiliated companies maintain meaningful and effective employee safety programs. This includes developing and implementing policies in alignment with regulatory compliance standards, training and coaching employees and ensuring physical conditions of worksites are safe.
- Establishes safety programs and documentation that satisfies legislative and regulatory standards for each regional location. This includes Cal-ARP, HMP, IIPP, RMP and PSM plans.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with Western Precooling and affiliated company management and employees, as well as regulatory administrators.
- Coordinates informational flow needed to document process safety management program (PSM) compliance. Informs area managers when compliance issues are noted. When non-compliance issues are determined, provides direction and offers assistance to correct non-compliance issues. The implementation of safety and training programs remains the responsibility of local management.
- Responsible for content and administration of the process safety management & training website (WBBM). Manages changes to the system and assists local operations.
- Leads the Safety Committee Program and directs all regional safety committees, ensuring information is shared companywide via personal visits and video conferences. Provides information and status reports on a quarterly basis to the safety management team or as needed.
- Develops and implements a reporting system for all employees who wish to report anonymously or otherwise any safety condition they feel is not being addressed.
- Participates in all reportable release situations. May act as the lead individual, if no qualified facility leader is present. The local manager is responsible for the NRC / OES / CUPA hazardous materials release reporting within the 15-minute rule.
- Participates in development of the annual Engineering department operations budget and is a resource to cooler and service shop managers to predict safety / training expenses that should be included in their operating budgets.
- Proven success managing employee safety programs.
- A degree in Occupational Safety & Health preferred with at a minimum 5 years’ experience in the agricultural and/or cooling industry.
- Safety Certifications such as a CSP, ASP, COSS, CHST, etc. documenting continuing education in the safety, health and environmental field desired.
- Ability to lead projects and push them to completion.
- Attention to detail and approaches work with initiative and a high sense of urgency.
- A willingness to engage with people to understand situations and solve problems.
- An understanding of the requirements of Cal-OSHA , SARA Title III, Food Safety (FDA) and other regulatory plans that apply to Western Precooling’s business operations.
- Excellent capabilities with computer programs. Word and Excel are used extensively, as well as PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Ability to build lesson plans for development of WBBM delivered training and communications is required.
- Must be well organized, a self-starter, and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize and adjust tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Willingness to travel to the various Company locations. Travel will vary pending on time of the year and business needs.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.