Seeking a Research Associate to join our team!
Primary responsibilities are to assist Colorado State University research scientists and Extension personnel in the planning and execution of on-site and off-station applied research trials at WCRC-Fruita. In agronomic crops and cropping systems (variety trials, water resources, irrigation systems, pest and salinity management, cropping management, new and alternative crops, etc.). Specific expectations are to: assist with the collection of research data according to protocols provided by professional staff; assist with outreach activities such as field days and workshops; assist in the general operations of the canter including, but not limited to, general farm and research plot operations and maintaining facilities and repairing equipment. Some heavy lifting (50 lbs) Is required.
- Minimum B.S. degree in agronomy, engineering, soil science, crop science, landscape management, horticulture, or closely related field.
- Prior experience (3 years or more) with farming operations, including but not limited to irrigation systems, tillage practices, crop rotation, weed and pest management, crop fertilization, farm equipment operation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of basic scientific research principles and ability to follow experimental protocol.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize a number of different activities simultaneously
- Ability to work as a team member to facilitate the work of others within and beyond the Agricultural Experiment Station system.
- Proven effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Facility with basic computing software (MS Office, MS Word)
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Current Colorado Qualified Supervisor Pesticide Applicator license or willingness to acquire within 60 days of employment.
- Ability to meet physical demands, such as heavy lifting (50 lbs or greater), manual dexterity, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching and handling.
- Ability to work a Flexible Work Arrangement (FWA) schedule as necessary during spring planting/tillage, irrigation season and fall harvest.
- Experience in overseeing specialized research projects in cropping and/or irrigation at a facility engaged in research, evaluation and/or education.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with MS Office software (Outlook, Excel, Access), farm management software, geographic information systems or other programming platform.
- Experience with outdoor computing, monitoring and telemetry equipment.
- Experience supervising personnel and laborers.
- Demonstrated organizational abilities and attention to detail such as the ability to maintain high quality and accurate records and other data management.
- Experience in welding and general mechanic work.
- Valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License.
- Ability to speak Spanish.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.