Quality and Food Safety Manager
Position Summary: Our Mishawaka QA team at WellPet is made up of professionals who understand the difference our products make in the lives of pets. We are currently seeking a Quality & Food Safety Manager to join our team. This position is based in our Mishawaka manufacturing plant, located near South Bend, Indiana. Reporting to the Director of QA, the Quality & Food Safety Manager will lead Food Safety and Quality programs at our manufacturing facility in South Bend, Indiana. This includes leading the management and oversight of FSMA compliance, GFSI (BRC) implementation & on-going certification, and execution of site quality systems to ensure compliance with corporate Food Safety / Quality Assurance requirements and other related initiatives.
Position Description (Responsibilities):
- Ensure that the business is advised and complies with FDA Food Safety Modernization Act requirements.
- Develop and execute plans to achieve/maintain GFSI (BRC) certification (target Q2/Q3 20201) at the facility and to meet all corporate requirements related to quality and food safety programs. This includes the development of Pre-requisite Programs to support regulatory and BRC requirements; including but not limited to Management Commitment, Document Control and Records, Specifications, pre and post sanitation monitoring programs, EMP, internal audit programs, Verification activities, Product Identification &Traceability and Recall, Incident Management and other Food Safety Fundamentals.
- Lead the current quality assurance and food safety processes which tie into business site-specific and corporate objectives. This includes ongoing FSMA compliance, Food Safety Plans (Preventive Controls), regulatory and certification audits, quality systems management, development of standard operating procedures (SOP's), incoming ingredient inspections, food safety audits, consumer concern investigations and calibration programs.
- Oversee plant interactions and relationship with FDA, GFSI Certification Body, customers and consultants.
- Manage finished product evaluation system and provide leadership to drive improvements in key customer/consumer Quality attributes.
- Support training of personnel and ensure maintenance of all training records on critical food safety and quality requirements. Document and maintain training registry for all employees at the facility.
- Oversee monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility meet the facility Food Safety and Quality Plans.
- Provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred, or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality attributes by assuring root causes are addressed through a corrective and preventive action process.
- Manage and provide leadership in implementing an effective and efficient documented CAPA program.
- Manage/ Oversee pest control program and microbiological testing to assure compliance with regulatory, GFSI and Corporate Food Safety & Quality standards.
- Reassess Quality and Safety Food plan(s) throughout the change management process which is required whenever there is a change to program, process, procedure, ingredient, equipment, industry philosophy, technology, etc.
- Develop data capture and analysis capabilities within the business and lead the development and implementation of statistical tools and systems to support continuous process and product improvement.
- Lead the site development of digitization of process and QA documentation.
- Act as an active contributor on the Facility Management Team to meet all business objectives.
- Development of succession plans for assigned associates.
- Support the development of corporate supplier quality management programs to help ensure the procurement of quality raw materials and packaging components used in the manufacturing of products.
- Provide assistance to product and process improvement activities by supporting research and development manufacturing trials at the site.
- Facilitate Food Defense programs.
- Other responsibilities as deemed appropriate to the position.
- Live the WellPet values and culture and doing whatever it takes for the pets who depend on us
- Bachelor's degree in Food Safety, Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or related field.
- 5 - 10 years of food processing experience, with at least 3 years supervisory role in a manufacturing environment under USDA and/or FDA and HACCP.
- 2+ years facilitating food safety/quality related training events.
- Experience in the implementation of GFSI programs, preferably BRC.
- Demonstrate leadership in the areas of food safety and plant regulatory affairs
- HACCP Certification from a nationally / internationally recognized and accredited HACCP training program
- Must have strong organizational and leadership skills
- Experience implementing and using statistical process control tools in a manufacturing environment
- Able to work with cross functional departments within the organization
- Strong problem-solving skills and corrective & preventive action/resolution skills
- Strong computer skills with experience using Word, Excel, Access, Power Point.
- Ability to manage and develop staff at all levels.
- Must have practical experience of GFSI programs.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent project management abilities, capable of prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously, under tight time constraints and within budget parameters
- Well-developed written and oral presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally
- Demonstrates positive attitude and takes a proactive approach
- Sees challenges as opportunities and translates them into actionable tasks
- Displays grace and presence at all times
- Energized by fast-paced environment
- Great relationship management abilities
- Reports to Director of Quality Assurance with a dotted line relationship to the General Manager
- 3 direct reports – Quality Specialist, HACCP Coordinator and Lab Supervisor
- 8 indirect reports – Quality Lab Techs
- Works directly with plant staff, operators and mechanics in resolving issues
Top 5 Competencies:
- Ability to Lead
- Action Oriented
- Technical Knowledge and Skills
To apply, please visit: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=d5e146c6-350d-45d8-997e-99c7d9f8a95a&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CareerCenter
WellPet LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.