Quality Control Specialist
The Quality Control Specialist will ensure adequate quality produce is received. This is achieved by inspecting inbound produce shipments, managing physical inventories, communicating effectively to the Operation Managers and completing outbound orders that guarantee delivery to the customer. Knowledge of customers specs and delivery requirements is expected. This position requires full understanding of USDA grading standards as well as knowledge with retail and wholesale produce specifications. The candidate must have consistency in their inspections and be forthcoming with all reports.
- Health Insurance
- Conduct on-site (McAllen TX) fresh product inspections based on USDA grading standards and determine whether product meets or fails to meet grade requirements.
- Develop a good relationship with warehouse staff.
- Develop an understanding of customer quality specs to improve QC and staging activities.
- Complete inspection reports, including pictures of inbound product, pallets, boxes and temperatures as applicable.
- Communicate timely and accurate reporting to the Operation Managers / individual category managers, as needed.
- Document and provide inspections of product packaging, including photo evidence, when issues such as leaning or broken pallets, crushed boxes or other non-conformances (e.g. staples, dinginess, signs of pests, etc.) are present, and communicate such results to the Sales Manager/ individual category manager.
- Stage product as needed through the directives provided by the individual category manager to ensure product meets customer specifications.
- Determine if product should be returned to shipper or reworked, and/or disposed and communicate said findings to the Operation Managers/ individual category manager(s).
- If product needs to be reworked, coordinate between category manager and others as needed (e.g. repacking, restacking, conditioning issues).
- Oversee any and all repack operations to ensure flawless execution from both a quality and quantity standpoint.
- Participate in ongoing training efforts to develop knowledge of produce grades and standards.
- Complete daily physical inventories of fresh produce and have a constant general understanding of inventory status at any given moment.
- Work closely with warehouse facility and operation managers to identify any food safety concerns that may appear and execute corrective actions accordingly.
- Maintain a current, valid driver's license (commercial not required).
- Must be able and willing to work extended hours, including weekends.
- Able to stand, bend and walk throughout the day, sometimes for extended periods.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work in a cold environment.
- Must be able to work in the U.S. and possibly to travel internationally.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience working in the fresh fruit and vegetable industry.
- Knowledge of produce grades and standards.
- Experience in a quality control or inspector capacity.
- Consistent, reliable and communicative.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred not necessary.
- Team player, supports others in the organization as needed.
- Proficient with use of MS office and other productivity apps.
- Working knowledge of Produce Pro Software preferred but not required.
- Skilled at using various technology, including Windows or IOS-based PCs, tablets and phones.
- Maintain professional etiquette when dealing with others (e.g. customers, suppliers, staff,).
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.