Mgr QA I
Ventura Foods is a leading global manufacturer of branded and custom food products that can be found at national and regional restaurants, hospitals and universities, movie theatres and major retailers in the U.S. and in more than 60 countries. At 15 manufacturing sites across North America, Ventura Foods creates dressings and sauces, mayonnaises, margarines, and oils that help our customers create great-tasting flavors with high-quality ingredients. Those same high-quality ingredients go into our own set of branded products, such as: Marie’s® dressings, LouAna® oils, Dean’s® dips and Gold n’ Soft® spreads. Our company is headquartered in Brea, California with operations across the U.S, Canada, Mexico, the Philippines and Singapore. Regardless of your role, function or location, at Ventura Foods, you'll be part of a supportive team dedicated to helping our customers delight their customers.
Plans, coordinates and directs the quality assurance program designed to ensure that the plant and finished products conform to all customer, federal and state regulatory requirements, as well as, implements and maintains Ventura Foods Corporate Quality Assurance policies and procedures. The incumbent also facilitates the quality improvement program and serves as the plant liaison in dealings with regulatory agencies and client companies.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides direct support, leadership and direction to QA and Sanitation staff. · Provides direct supervision to subordinates (QA and Sanitation Supervisor), including making hiring/firing decisions, providing training and development opportunities, and conducting performance reviews, coaching sessions, and weekly 1x1 meetings with direct reports.
- Maintains and improves product quality by completing product and compliance audits, investigating consumer complaints; collaborating with other members of management to resolve issues.
- Maintains the food safety aspect of the plant by periodically performing internal audits of the facility to verify that procedures mandated by the company, state and Federal governmental agencies are being adhered to. This includes GMPs, Sanitation, Food Safety Plans, and Safety.
- Maintains all aspects of the Quality Assurance Laboratory, including microbiological, chemical, physical and sensory aspects of all food products manufactured at this facility. This also includes coordination of the sampling and testing with Production.
- Ensures that all preventative measures as outlined in Food Safety plan are executed, monitored, and record reviewed to include corrective and preventative actions.
- Develops, updates and implements the plant Food Safety program. Directs the cross-functional Food Safety team, including regular plant audits and monthly team meetings. · Ensures that plant employees are properly trained on a regular basis and that training is effective.
- Acts as plant liaison in dealings with regulatory agencies and client company representatives and auditors. Reviews and maintains all required processing records and regulatory inspections and reports. Provides support to R and D on projects as needed.
- Follow all company policies and procedures. Comply with all GMPs, food safety and quality procedures to ensure that food safety and quality objectives are met. Comply with all safety policies and procedures to maintain a safe work environment. Report all safety, food safety and quality problems to management. Work cooperatively with others both those on your team and with on other teams.
- Oversees the Pest Control program in the facility through coordination with contracted pest control service representatives.
- Manages departmental priorities and training for quality and sanitation.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated increasing responsibility in a fast-paced manufacturing environment in the food industry
- 5+ years' experience in the Quality Assurance field, as well as 3 years supervisory experience
- Recall, SQF/FDA/USDA/HACCP/FSMA experience is very helpful
- Experience with dressing and sauce technology preferred
- Ability to travel 10%
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong leadership, team building, interpersonal and supervisory skills
- Ability to prioritize decisions and actions using problem solving and creative thinking approaches with good project management skills
- Good knowledge in executing and maintaining worker safety and quality systems programs
- Must have basic knowledge of federal, state, and relevant local regulations and standards related to worker safety, food safety and quality and aspects of FSMA
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good computer skills including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and ERP or related
Regularly requires intermittent sitting, standing, walking, climbing, squatting, kneeling, pushing, and pulling. Physical strength and dexterity sufficient to perform the required task(s). Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more with assistance. Additional demands may be required.
In addition to normal business hours, work schedules may include after hours and weekends as needed. May work outside and in adverse temperatures which include extreme hot, cold, and humidity. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. Must be willing and able to wear personal protective equipment as required by established Company Safety standards. May require work in confined and dark spaces, and at heights in excess of 18 feet for prolonged periods of time.
Ventura Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Manager, Food Safety, QA, Quality Assurance, Management, Quality, Technology
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.