Clinical Faculty-Food Safety Specialist
The University of Idaho and TechHelp are seeking a food safety specialist to provide technical consulting services and professional training for the food industry in the State of Idaho. The food safety specialist works for both UI and TechHelp out of the Boise, ID office to identify needs and serve the rapidly growing food manufacturing industry across the state. This position offers a high degree of autonomy and the freedom and support to build a thriving food safety consultancy in Idaho.
The Food Safety Specialist has a clinical faculty appointment in the School of Food Science in extension at one of the top food science programs in the nation. The School of Food Science is a leader in food safety research and outreach, and with our colleagues at University of Idaho Extension provides reliable, research based education and information to help people, businesses and communities solve problems, develop skills and build a better future through a statewide network of faculty and staff. Together, we transform knowledge into solutions that work focusing on sustainable agriculture, food safety, nutrition, and health.
In partnership with TechHelp’s experienced team of manufacturing specialists this position will help Idaho manufacturers, food processors, inventors and entrepreneurs improve their competitiveness through continuous product and process innovation, providing technical assistance in new product and market development, operational excellence, and food and dairy processing.
Provide outreach services to the food processing industry in the region
- Using broad and innovative manufacturing process knowledge (such as risk based preventive controls for human and animal foods, allergens and produce safety, lean, theory of constraints, etc.) to help food processors improve the effectiveness of their operations to meet their company goals.
- Apply knowledge of food technologies and quality to industry problems and seek the assistance of experts in the field as needed.
- Apply project skills such as listening, asking open questions, paraphrasing, etc., to determine client company needs, generate options or solutions, develop proposals, determine costs, and find appropriate resources to work in partnership with the client to meet proposal goals.
- Perform follow-up evaluations of projects to determine methods of improvement, develop positive customer relationships, and get feedback on services and effectiveness, including impact on company sales, savings, investment and jobs.
- Provide technical assistance and support for CAFÉ activities.
- Participate in student recruiting activities across the state and region.
- Write grants and contracts to support outreach program
- Collaborate with faculty and others at the University of Idaho and regional collaborators from other institutions and the private sector on outreach and applied research projects. The expectation is that the individual in this position will be entrepreneurial and will generate significant revenue to support the outreach program from external sources.
Provide training services on topics such as food safety, quality management or manufacturing for food and agricultural producers
- Directly provide, or contract for, training at company sites or for small groups of food processors.
- Educate firms on the needs of such training.
- Assess firms’ state of preparation for the level of trainings.
- Conduct assessments of train effectiveness and determine long and short-term impacts for program.
- Teach in for-credit classes at various locations in Idaho and in online educational (for credit, non-credit) programs.
Conduct scholarship on ways to improve operational effectiveness of food processors
- Understanding needs and collaborate with UI agriculture and engineering faculty to further support of the food processing industry.
Serve the UI, and the profession as required
- Report on projects both in process and those completed, attend regular team meetings, faculty and professional meetings
- Report on projects both in process and completed, using the Agricultural Extension system and attend regular meetings, keeping the School of Food Science abreast of activities and accomplishments.
- Keep abreast of current knowledge of importance to the execution of outreach, teaching, and scholarly activity including use of social media and new technologies to reach a broad and diverse audience.
- Master’s degree in food science, engineering, science, or related area.
- Significant experience in the food processing industry.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Computer literate with word processing, database, and spreadsheet applications.
- Food safety and quality management proficiency through coursework or certifications and experience.
- PhD degree in food science, engineering, science, or related area.
- Experience with food and dairy processing operations.
- Experience with product quality and food safety best practices.
- Experience with food safety and quality management programs in the food industry.
- Experience in conducting workshops for food safety, quality management, or food manufacturing.
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.