Safety Compliance Manager
Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars, which offer outstanding food delivered with our signature warmth and hospitality. Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, the company now extends beyond the walls of its eateries. In addition to creating Shake Shack, USHG offers operational consulting and runs a multifaceted catering and events business, Union Square Events, and has operations in New York, Las Vegas, and Washington, D.C.. USHG holds 28 James Beard Awards and numerous accolades for its distinctive style of hospitality.
We are searching for a Safety Compliance Manager to join our team in our New York City headquarters.
The Safety Compliance Manager is responsible for leading, managing and developing health and safety policies, procedures and programs. They will create and promote initiatives to ensure the organizations compliance with health and safety legislation and work to eliminate workplace hazards and risks to reduce injuries through industry best practices. They will collaborate with leaders to ensure employees are educated in practices to proactively protect themselves against potential dangers as well as respond appropriately to emergency situations.
The main areas or responsibility will be to lead Health & Safety through driving a culture of safety in the field and ensuring policies and procedures are actively adhered to and applied to the business. And to advise and determine effective risk management in tandem with business leaders in their operations.
The person we’re looking for has:
- Bachelor Degree or Equivalent Experience
- NYC Food Handler’s Certificate
- 2+ Years of NYC Compliance Experience
- FDNY Certificate of Fitness
- (S-95, G-93 or F-03) is a plus
- Proficient understanding of food service operational layout, equipment, and functionality
- Communication: Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem Solving: Information seeking and achievement orientation, ability to solve problems both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to embody, lead, and teach our Family Values
- Must be able to tolerate varying levels of stress, temperature, illumination, air quality and fatigue.
- Bi-Lingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
And mostly, we want people who embody USHG’s Family Values:
- Excellence: Doing what needs to be done as well as it can possibly be done.
- I bring my personal best to work for the purpose of helping the team achieve superior results.
- I demonstrate a hunger to learn even more about myself, my profession and my world.
- I actively solicit feedback to continuously improve and grow.
Hospitality: Doing all that can be done for others – and more than expected – in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side.
- I am aware of, and own, how my behaviors impact others and make them feel.
- I consistently demonstrate warmth, care and courage to support and strengthen the team.
- I create memorable moments of hospitality for all of our stakeholders to power the cycle of Enlightened Hospitality.
Entrepreneurial Spirit: Seeing opportunities others haven’t, and creating solutions others wish they’d thought of first.
- I take risks to continuously innovate and I willingly embrace change.
- I add to the dialogue by asking the question “whoever wrote the rule...”
- I honor my mistakes as opportunities to grow and humbly share my lessons learned with others to fuel learning and innovation.
Integrity: Doing the right thing, always, using sound judgment, even when no one is looking.
- I use my best judgment to do what is fair and right, even when it may not be in my immediate self-interest.
- I courageously provide honest feedback to my colleagues to hold them accountable to our standards of excellence and their own growth and development.
- I actively build trust with my colleagues and stakeholders, one action at a time.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.