Job Filled Quality and Food Safety Specialist
We are seeking a Quality and Food Safety Specialist to join our team. Seasonal travel between Yuma, AZ & San Juan, REQUIRED.
This position interacts directly with Food Safety and Quality Assurance programs including but not limited to microbiological testing, Organic Integrity, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) programs, in-house and third party audits, quality evaluations and compliance certifications. This position supports supervisors to ensure that work is performed in compliance with Quality and Food Safety requirements at all times.The position has rotating shifts and fluctuating hours based on business needs.
- Maintain QA/Food safety data (manual/electronic) in full compliance.
- Administer the environmental control program. Develop new plans, maps, and maintain corrective actions in place.
- Lead root cause analyses and corrective action and preventive action plans for all quality and customer complaint issues. Make proactive recommendations and offer solutions to the Quality Assurance department to improve quality and efficiencies.
- Support mock recall exercises and be part of the recall programs. Interact with traceability programs to be in full compliance.
- Participate in pre-season food safety orientations for seasonal employees. Provide continuous food safety training to different departments.
- Coordinates and monitors systemic sampling of incoming raw products, finished products and plant environment for safety and quality. Maintains data and analysis for trends.
- Assist with internal audits, second party audits, Organic audits, FDA audits and other third party audits such as Primus.
- Create new methods of monitoring food safety and quality using approaches of microbiology and other sciences with data analysis and trend charts.
- Evaluate food processing and storage operations and assist in the development of quality assurance programs for such operations; recommend and help implement corrective action initiatives ensuring food safety issues and concerns are resolved in a timely manner while minimizing customer risk, cost and production down time.
- Supports master pre-operation inspection activities and verifies effective execution of sanitation programs.
- Cooperate with supervisors and managers and ensure compliance with all Company policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Hazard Communication, and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21 - Section 110, and FSMA.
- Coordinate work assignments, monitor QA technician performance and provide training on QA job duties, company policies and procedures.
- Have intermediate to advanced level Microsoft Excel skills. Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint required.
- Familiar with the local Department of Health and other state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Administer and support safety and health programs to ensure a safe work place and to be in compliance with county, state, federal, national and international regulations. Foster an environment where the importance of worker and food safety is based on proper safe handling of product including maintaining cold chain integrity.
- Willing to collaborate in other projects assigned by QA management.
- Experience with Organic program a plus.
- Up-to-date knowledge of State and Federal food safety regulations, relevant legislation, Good Management Practices (GMP) and HACCP programs.
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) certification strongly preferred.
- Preventive Control Qualified Individual (PCQI) certification strongly preferred.
- Skilled at performing detailed computations and preparing detailed reports. Famous experience a plus.
- Strong analytical and project management skills.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred. Ability to speak, write and read English.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must have effective organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Must have ability to use or learn the Quality/SOP compliance software.
- Must have personal integrity, flexibility, dependability, ability to work within policy guidelines and to work independently.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to suppliers, customers, clients, sales, upper management and other employees of the organization is essential.
- Must have strong math skills and be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Manage special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Ag Science, Microbiology or a related field of science/or AA degree with minimum of 5 years of job experience (Same field).
- One (1) to three (3) years of related experience in a food systems or food manufacturing environment with increasing levels of responsibility and authority; 1+ years of leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of fruit & fresh produce raw materials, production processes, quality control and cost management.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.