Food Safety QA Manager
Trident Seafoods was founded over 40 years ago and we are proud to have grown to be the largest vertically integrated seafood company in North America. We are a family-owned company with over 9,000 employees worldwide. Trident Seafoods is based out of Seattle, but has processing plants across the United States, Europe, Japan, and China. The real heartbeat of Trident Seafoods, however, is its access to the natural resources in the remote coastal communities of Alaska. We have a unique heritage, talented employees and a company culture founded on the “can do” spirit. Trident believes that our employees are the most foremost reason for our success, allowing us to be the leader in the Seafood industry.
The QA Manager will be responsible for directing Trident Seafoods’ quality assurance program and ensuring quality problems are identified and resolved. This individual will monitor the Production Department's conformance with QA standards and procedures, as well as evaluate systems, analyze data, evaluate products and technology, and establish quality control procedures. The QA Manager will oversee inspections and audits, participate in vendor evaluation; investigate product quality problems and recommend changes or improvements; maintain proper documentation and reports, and will conduct annual HACCP training for select/critical personnel.
This position will be based out of Trident’s plant in Everett, WA.
- Reviews HACCP and LACF records daily.
- Reviews Lab records on a weekly basis.
- Reviews monitoring paperwork: Frozen Fish Report, QA Monitoring Report, and Temp Tale Monitoring twice a week.
- Meets with Sanitation Supervisor about issues if any with high micro counts to discuss cleaning strategies.
- Compiles and sends out the QA Daily Report.
- Resolves and compiles data and information for any customer complaints received in a timely manner.
- Meets with QA Technicians to identify concerns and training.
- Resolves and compiles data and information for any customer complaints in the Quarterly Summary received.
- Resolves and compiles data and information for product holds in the Hold Log for the week.
- Sends out monthly plant audit to team members for input, enters data into log and follows through with any corrective actions.
- Sends out samples for quarterly microbial cross-checks; follows up with Lab Tech
- Sends out samples of perishable product for quarterly WPS checks; follows up with Lab Tech
- Conducts training for sanitation crew with vendor representative.
- Responsible for in-plant self-audit.
- Assists inspector from the US Army Veterinary Command for the GMP audit.
- Conducts yearly HACCP Team meeting to review HACCP plans.
- Directs QA Technicians to send out Continuing Commodity Agreement letters on an annual basis to all ingredient vendors. Ensures that Master Ingredient List is updated.
- Conducts pre-audit readiness for the plant’s annual vendor audit.
- Conducts mock recalls.
- Reviews and modifies as required the company HACCP Manual, Quality Manual, Sanitation manual and LACF manual.
- Conducts retort survey, compiles information, and sends to SPA for review.
- Conducts HACCP training for personnel in the Raw Room, Smokehouse, and Finish crew.
- Acts as liaison for kosher certifying agency to update certification.
- Calls Food Security Team together for annual plant security review.
- Visits and inspects Portlock store to verify food safety environment and food handling conditions.
- Acquires knowledge of Trident’s Environmental and Safety Policies by completing required training programs and performing designated work activities in accordance with training and procedures/work instructions
- Notifies designated personnel of any environmental or safety incidents or risks not previously documented, in accordance with Environmental Awareness and/or safety trainings
Experience / Education:
- B.S. in Food Science or related field or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years’ supervisory experience in a food production/quality assurance environment.
- Knowledge of HACCP regulations, Food Safety, and Audit procedures required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to analyze data
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a normal office environment, with frequent unscheduled interruptions. The employee is frequently exposed to excessive noise, wet and/or humid conditions, and temperature changes. The employee may be exposed to human body fluids or hazardous materials, such as carcinogens. The noise level in the work environment varies between moderate and loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; move within all areas of the facility; frequently use a computer. This position requires the ability to read, write, communicate orally, reason, analyze data, and handle objects. Personal protective equipment is required when on production floor. Personal protective equipment includes: plant boots, hairnet or beard net if needed, and white smock.
Mental Activities: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use teamwork skills and occasionally required to use interpersonal and customer service skills.
Trident Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age and genetic information.
Trident Seafoods has adopted a zero-tolerance and drug-free workplace policy. Pre-employment drug examinations are required for all employees.
Any employment offer from Trident Seafoods is contingent upon the candidate maintaining valid immigration status and work authorization throughout employment, without any need for immigration sponsorship by the company.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.