Food Safety & Quality Assurance Manager
Tennessee Cheesecake is a family-owned frozen dessert manufacturer located in Lebanon, TN. We make high-quality desserts for the foodservice and restaurant industry, and distribute nationwide. We are looking for a food safety and quality assurance professional who will thrive in a hard-working, small-business, team-oriented culture. READ MORE ABOUT OUR COMPANY.
Tennessee Cheesecake Core Values - If this sounds like you, we hope you will apply!
- See the glass as half full
- Have heart. No jerks.
- Customer first.
- Do the right thing.
- Relentless dedication to the team.
- Have fun.
The Food Safety & Quality Assurance (FSQA) Manager manages all aspects of food safety and quality control at Tennessee Cheesecake. This is a hands-on position, and time is split 30/70 plant/office. The successful candidate will provide leadership at a high level while also implementing the details of the company’s food safety and quality programs on a daily basis, and will have the demonstrated abilities to collaborate and work well across departments. Above all, we want somebody who is fun to work with, isn't afraid to spend time on the production floor and also behind a desk, and makes us better at what we do.
- Maintain, monitor, update, and develop systems to support the company’s food safety programs.
- Lead GFSI program compliance and certification (BRC), and HACCP Program Maintenance.
- Lead compliance with Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), including: Food Safety Plan (Preventive Controls), Preventive Control document reviews, and revision/consolidation/deletion of outdated documents.
- Assists plant leadership in managing local, state, customer/third party, and federal audits and inspections.
- Manage and implement supplier quality and compliance: supplier approval program, supplier documentation reviews, raw material issues.
- Work to implement existing Food Safety Systems, and identify opportunities for growth and improvement.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines and regulations, serving as adviser on projects and day-to-day plant operations.
- Oversee Integrated Pest Management program and contract services relationship.
- Provide training to plant personnel, including: Food Safety, cGMP, Sanitation, HACCP, etc.
- Manage document control program.
- Direct and implement the Environmental Monitoring Program: data analysis, identify trends, and corrective actions; ATP testing and data analysis; Environmental swabbing.
- Verification tasks, including: product testing, scales, temperature controls (cooler, freezer, ovens), adherence to cGMPS, metal detectors, pre-op inspections and related activities, etc.
- Prevention and Investigation: Investigate customer complaints, analysis and trending of complaint data, lead root cause analysis and development of corrective and preventive actions.
- Manage self-audit program.
- Ensures that proper sanitation procedures are used and that adequate sanitation tests are performed; provides troubleshooting support as needed.
- Monitor industry and regulatory updates, trends, and news to keep the company informed and ahead of the curve.
- Lead by example with the Tennessee Cheesecake core values. This includes company policies, standards, and specifications.
- Organize and lead monthly food safety team meetings.
- Serve as an advocate of our food safety culture.
- Performs other duties as needed. This is an evolving and growing department, and the successful candidate will be ready and excited to grow and evolve with us.
- Reports to the CEO.
- Works closely with production and sales teams to achieve food safety and quality goals.
Job Requirements / Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Bachelor's degree in a science-based area of study is preferred.
- At least two years of food safety and quality control experience in a food manufacturing environment. RTE and/or frozen dessert experience a plus.
- Exhaustively meticulous: Detail oriented with excellent organizational and communication skills. You know when and where to focus your energy.
- Possesses a working knowledge of sanitation systems, techniques and procedures.
- Well-versed in Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Science Brain: You thrive on data. You know how to use data to direct your efforts and identify solutions.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Positive and professional attitude and appearance is a must.
- Must be able to build a trusting and respectful rapport with team members in all other departments.
- Knowledge of FSMA, HACCP, FDA, and OSHA requirements.
- Computer knowledge: Must be comfortable working with technology. Google cloud, word processing, spreadsheets, etc. Ability to learn new technologies, crunch the numbers and improve company systems/processes.
- Must be able to pass all pre-employment screens (including drug, background, and criminal checks).
Physical Activities Required / Job Environment
- Standing and walking for extended time periods.
- Lifting up to 30 lbs occasionally.
- Must be able to stand, walk, climb, reach, lift, carry, pull, push, grasp, stoop, squat, bend, and stretch as needed.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves food debris, odors, equipment noise, temperature extremes, wet areas, or similar elements most of the work day.
Compensation & Benefits
- $60,000 annual salary
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
Tennessee Cheesecake is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.