Quality Assurance Manager SQF Practitioner
Swiss American is looking for a Quality Assurance and Food Safety professional to join our team. Desired candidates will posses excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, experience in problem solving, and be able to interpret and design programs compliant with the SQF code for food manufacturing. This position is very hands on and requires managing shifting deadlines by a dedicated practitioner to ensure the success of the programs. If you are a dedicated food safety professional that enjoys the challenge of building plans and executing them, the open position is for you.
This position is responsible for the design, implementation, training and maintenance of the SQF Food Safety and Quality systems, including sanitation, GMP & HACCP and FSMA programs, as well as food defense, food fraud, allergen control, microbiological testing, and various certifications. This role has overall responsibility for Quality Assurance and Food Safety functions of the company and will act as the company's lead SQF Practitioner, overseeing the development, implementation, review, and maintenance of the SQF Certification under the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI).
Role and Responsibilities
- Oversee the development, implementation, review and maintenance of the SQF System, including food safety fundamentals and take appropriate action to ensure the integrity of the SQF System.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable food laws & regulations.
- Keep up to date with changes in regulations, food laws, pertinent legislation and all other industry compliance issues that will impact our Food Safety & Quality programs; taking action as necessary to maintain compliance and bring these to the attention of Senior Managers as necessary.
- Communicate to relevant personnel all information essential to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of the SQF System.
- Lead and provide strong managerial oversight for projects, requests, and problem-solving initiatives, internally and externally and with cross-functional teams.
- Research & qualify vendors through facilitation, training and vendor audit programs ensuring compliance with food safety and quality objectives.
- Approve & monitor chosen suppliers of products & packaging via vendor assurance and quality monitoring programs including sampling, testing and reporting on product quality.
- Set up, design and conduct internal audits and monitor all in-process samples and finished products as per established quality methods.
- Recommend process improvements to reduce waste; conduct quality and food safety training; manage relations with outside labs; provide technical assistance for new products; develop specifications and standards for testing for new products; manage systems for control of non-conforming products.
- Provide in-depth analytical support in the areas of food safety, sanitation, and quality in support of the Company's strategic goal
- Accept, hold or reject products, in-process samples, and finished goods.
- Maintain all necessary QA records and lead and prepare third-party audits and plant inspections with key customers and regulatory agencies.
- Maintain testing policies and procedures and ensure that testing logs are organized, maintained and up to date.
- Act as a liaison to outside customers on quality system requirements and resolve product complaints and recalls.
- Effectively manage a staff including but not limited to making employment decisions, promoting personal and professional development of team members, and training.
- Identify and lead food safety, SQF and HACCP training programs for team members other key employees
- Analyze industry trends and safety initiatives to develop alternative strategies to maintain and improve competitive position with key customers.
- Provide leadership to both the HACCP and Recall teams including updating policies and procedures and all required documentation.
- Model the organizational values of thinking innovatively; optimizing solutions with a customer focus; operating with integrity and a sense of urgency; delivering unmatched quality and setting a standard for food safety; leading change; and being accountable.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Biological Science or related science discipline. At least 5 years experience in quality assurance at a food manufacturing facility. Quality experience in processing/packing/distribution environment. SQF Practitioner and HACCP certification required. USDA, FDA, QA and food science experience highly desired. Candidates with PCQI certification in addition to SQF Practitioner certification will be given priority.
- Food Science, safety, quality and compliance expertise including expertise interpreting and developing programs according to the code
- EXTREMELY ORGANIZED AND DETAIL ORIENTED
- Demonstrated prior experience with analysis on a variety of quality metrics
- Experience and understanding of food ingredients, nutritional labels, governmental regulations, HACCP and SQF
- Ability to work in a refrigerated environment with perishable products
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to make quick, educated decisions regarding product quality
- Solid grasp of manufacturing and plant management
- Experience working with outside product testing companies as well as FDA and auditors of various food safety groups
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and promote personal and professional development through coaching, training and goal setting
- Self-starter with a demonstrated ability to get consistent results
- Ability to lead, manage, communicate and train
- Demonstrated experience managing budgets and financial forecasts
- Demonstrated ability to select, analyze and integrate safety and quality information to deliver business solutions in alignment with Company and customer strategies
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of food safety processes and theories of delivering value-added services and consumer solutions
- Strong understanding of product metrics such as packaging, shelf life, and quality
- Highly motivated
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Proficient at using PC application; including Microsoft Office
- Detailed and thorough record keeping and process documentation skills
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.