Food Safety Manager
The Food Safety Manager is an individual that has the qualifications needed to be the essential force in our food safety and quality management systems. This position is primarily responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and maintenance of the company’s SQF Food Safety and Food Quality Program, Preventive Controls, Produce Safety for Packing Facility, and, knowledge of Foreign Supplier Verification Program. This person participates in, and may lead, cross functional problem-solving efforts. Proficiency in reading the Spanish language will be valuable, but not required. Candidate must be self-motivated, able to multi task, a conscientious team player with excellent communication and computer skills.
This position requires a person who has the education, training and expertise to perform activities, required by the SQF Food Safety and Quality Program, Preventive Controls, Produce Safety for Packing Facility, and Foreign Supplier Verification Program rule such as:
- Process Flow
- Hazard Analysis
- HACCP Plans
- Validation and Verification Activities
- Auditing and document management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- The person must be able to read and understand any technical Food Safety records that must be reviewed.
- Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Understands business implications of decisions.
- Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
- Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Training in SQF/HACCP/FSMA and FSVP preferred.
- Knowledge of FDA and USDA regulations preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as food safety rules, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software; Internet software and Spreadsheet software.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.