Food Safety & Quality Systems Manager
Spectrum Brands – The Pet Care business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. Owners of dogs, cats, birds, small animals, fish and reptiles rely on our brands for exceptional value and trusted results. Our industry-leading brands include Tetra®, Instant Ocean®, Marineland®, 8-in-1®, Dingo®, FURminator®, Nature’s Miracle®, GloFish®, DreamBone® and SmartBones®.
The Quality Manager manages quality and lab functions for the manufacturing of pet food consumer products. The Quality Manager is an essential position to assure food safety and quality standards for all product manufactured at the Corporate Exchange facility. Food safety training, attention to detail, exceptional work ethic, willingness to adapt, and a positive attitude are essential to success in this role.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Must understand and demonstrate safe work practices at all times to ensure a safe work environment.
- Design, implement, maintain, and evaluate quality systems for Dry seed filling and wet bird seed cake lines in a manufacturing environment.
- General problem solving molding and packaging including root cause analysis and corrective action implementation.
- Manage and maintain network SPC data collection system (Gainseek SPC/DMS).
- Develop, analyze, and present Key Performance Indicators as they relate to plant quality.
- Manage quality department staff
- Develop and maintain appropriate safety programs for laboratory operations.
- Quality calibration/support for plant/lab measuring devices (i.e. scales, metal detectors, etc.).
- Take ownership of the quality system and continued improvements to the plan.
- Resolve quality issues related to product components.
- Develop department operating budget and monitor cost performance.
- Establish and maintain a formalized cost reduction program that captures systems savings.
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
- Manage the Vendor Defect Program
- Ensure Compliance with all USDA, FDA and GFSI requirements
- Conduct Internal Audits as directed
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor’s Degree in a science related field
- 5 years of experience in Quality management of consumer products or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Food safety training (PCQI, HACCP, SQF Practitioner)
- General problem solving ability
- Leadership on initiating resolutions for major quality issues
- Excellent communication skills and strong management skills
- SAP experience (preferred)
- Microsoft Office skills requiring (Excel, Word and Powerpoint)
- 10% Office and 90% Manufacturing environment
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.