Quality Assurance Specialist, Sonoma
The Quality Assurance Specialist is responsible for supporting the QA department in leading, implementing, monitoring, complying, verifying, and improving the food safety management system (Hazard Analysis (HACCP) Program, Good Manufacturing (GMP) Program, additional certifications), ingredient and product quality standard analysis, production records and standards, and general process flow of raw materials and finished goods. The Quality Assurance Specialist is required to routinely communicate, both verbally and in writing with team members in a timely, informative, and respectful manner and will assist in the training of employees on GMPs and HACCP relative to their jobs.
Core Performance Expectations:
In addition to the day-to-day responsibilities described below, the following are the most important and rank prioritized accomplishments the new Quality Assurance Specialist will be expected to successfully deliver against during the first year:
1. Within 30 Days: Gain a general understanding of Sonoma Creamery’s Food Safety Plan, including GMP Program and how it conveys Sonoma Creamery’s high-quality standards and company culture. Gain an understanding of the Process Flow from receiving raw materials, to production of finished goods, and shipping finished goods.
2. Within 60 Days: Conduct various QA quality program and the accompanying analysis, assessments, and audits.
3. Within 90 Days: Correlate the individual Sonoma Creamery quality programs to the overall quality management system and how they relate and interact to the different areas of Operations (warehouse/production/supply chain).
4. Within 6 months: Work closely with the QA Manager to develop a new employee training program and food quality SOPs. Additionally, continue to build on QA systems and begin to assume responsibility of QA duties.
5. Within 1 year: Run day-to-day QA responsibilities from verifying production records, quality analysis, and QA documentation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains, reviews, and verifies various GMP/HACCP/PRP food quality systems and programs to ensure accuracy and compliance with Sonoma Creamery’s specifications, including: supplier documentation; ingredients specifications and COAs; production records, sanitation records; and customer complaint records.
- Completes routine lab analysis of finished product, raw materials, and other testing as needed.
- Completes routine food quality assessments and audits in the production and warehouse areas.
- Works with Supply Chain and R&D to qualify ingredients and suppliers. Reviews and maintains supplier food safety and certification documentation.
- Document and Record Control.
- Writes and maintains SOP’s in collaboration with Production, R&D, Supply and Warehouse teams.
- Performs quality checks on products and production equipment. Verifies activities for Process Preventive Controls (ex. Metal detector testing; Weight checks). Verifies accuracy & correctness of packaging, labels, and code dates.
- Analyzes samples of product: organoleptic (texture/appearance/flavor), ingredient composition, microbiological analysis, water activity, moisture content, salt analysis, assays.
- Records key ‘checkpoint’ parameters during product processing.
- Initiates ingredient, raw material and finished good holds as per Product Hold/Release policy to mark, record, and isolate any non-conforming product for review by management. Tracks and documents activities related to holds.
- Creates and maintains data driven reports for the development and refinement of specifications, processes, and quality system checks.
- Works in collaboration with Production, R&D, Supply and Warehouse team members to ensure quality production of Sonoma Creamery snacks.
- Develops new employee training, and Food Quality procedures.
- Trains employees on GMP’s, HACCP, and Worker Safety relative to their jobs.
- Contributes to the development of department goals, programs, and protocols.
- Analyzes and interprets data as requested by manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Science, Food or Manufacturing, and/or equivalent work experience.
- 2 – 3 years’ experience in Quality Assurance and/or Food Manufacturing.
- Knowledge and understanding of food safety and quality programs required (HACCP, PCQI).
- Proficiency in a standard laboratory setting, including completing routine food analysis, reading/writing SOPs, and analyzing and interesting results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Skilled in interpreting data and documents to create synthesized SOPs.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish is a plus, but not required.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE WORKING AT SONOMA CREAMERY:
- We hold ourselves to high standards. We do the right thing every time, not just when it is convenient: Integrity.
- We believe in the team model. Our teammates support each other as we embrace the company’s mission. Our team is built on mutual trust and respect, without which no team can be effective.
- We believe in “Kaizen” (Japanese for continuous improvement). We cannot make things perfect. Instead, we strive to improve things a little bit at a time. We are curious. We learn, change, and grow every day.
- Since we are all leaders and hold ourselves true to the mission and vision of the company, we are accountable to each other, which binds our commitment to results.
- Last but not least, we are at our most productive when we enjoy our jobs. Where possible, we combine fun at work. As a growth company, we optimistically focus on the future as our teammates’ positive attitudes resound in their holistic health, joy and well-being.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.