Food Safety Specialist
Skagit Valley’s Best Produce is proud to market potatoes grown by the Smith and Morrison family farms of Western Washington’s Skagit Valley. These third- and fourth-generation farmers strive to protect the agricultural legacy they inherited.
Offering a wide variety of colored potatoes, Skagit Valley’s Best is committed to the relationships we develop with our customers. The company is committed to maintaining the highest levels of production and product safety available. We know providing consumers with nutritious top-quality potatoes helps to preserve one of America’s greatest resource, the family farm.
Skagit Valley’s Best Produce may be the employer you seek. The office is clean and comfortable, and ownership provides the training and tools we need to do our jobs. Everyone works hard here, but we also know how to laugh and have fun together. Please consider joining our team.
We are currently searching for a Food Safety Specialist to join our team in Mount Vernon, WA.
This is a full-time hourly position, Monday through Friday during the packing and seed seasons (September through May). May provide coverage on Saturdays. Weekly schedule in other months is more flexible.
Oversees all aspects of the company’s Food Safety Program. Regularly covers the shipping desk. Leads the Food Safety and HACCP teams. All employees must adhere to health and food- and personal-safety standards and may be assigned related tasks not enumerated on the job description.
- Maintains electronic and physical records related to food safety (including the HACCP program), traceability, third-party audits, sanitation and chemical usage
- Takes water samples, performs water tests and delivers scheduled tests to laboratory
- Maintains current knowledge of food-safety issues and industry trends
- Performs biannual mock recalls
- Checks-in drivers picking up produce, inputs load details and processes all paperwork related to orders
- Staffs front desk, answering telephones and greeting visitors
- Performs other duties and projects, as assigned
- Three year’s related Food Safety experience
- Intermediate- to advanced-level skill using Microsoft Office programs
- Willingness and ability to use other computer programs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to provide courteous service to both internal and external customers
- Ability to interpret rules and regulations
- Computer research skills
- HACCP certification obtained within 60 days of hire
A combination of experience and education may be substituted for certain qualifications.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.