Food Safety Quality Assurance Manager
Summary: This position is responsible for leading and ensuring the overall functions of the Food Safety & Quality Assurance Department. Provide oversight and monitoring of operational processes for compliance with policies and procedures to include, but not limited to GMP, SSOP, FDA, HARPC, HACCP, SQF, and other regulatory and company pre-requisite programs, audits (internal and third party), and supporting company or customer QA programs. Plan, coordinate, implement, and monitor all quality assurance programs and activities, provide quality-related technical services, and participate in the review of product quality and process control issues. This position communicates closely with production, purchasing, sales and R&D regarding acceptance, rejection and disposition of raw materials and finished products and is accountable for monitoring and ensuring a high standard of food processing sanitation at the pre-operational and operational stages of production.
- 5- 7 years food processing experience required
- 3-5 years management experience (performance management, staff development) required
- 3-5 years management of food safety, regulatory compliance and quality programs preferred
- USDA/FSIS and/or FDA experience required; PCQI certification
- HACCP certification required
- Experience as an SQF practitioner preferred
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in a cold and wet environment
- Ability to work in a hot and humid environment
- Ability to climb stairs
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Must wear protective clothing including steel toed shoes
- Must be able to work non-traditional work schedule as needed
Education: BS degree-Food Science or related field, required; MS degree-Food Science or related preferred
Technical Skills: demonstrates the technical / functional skills to complete job
responsibilities. This includes knowledge of regulations (FSMA and FDA), global standards, formulation(science/chemistry), food microbiology, sanitation, R&D process, and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Leading Others: ability to get work done through others; effective at managing and developing individuals and teams
- Project Management: ability to manage people and projects- simple to complex
- Influencing Skills: ability to build relationships, influence, and collaborate, within and across departments
- Leadership Presence: demonstrates managerial courage, resolves conflicts, and communicates well with all levels in the organization
- Take appropriate action to ensure the integrity and sustained certification of the SQF system
- Responsible for reporting and taking any necessary action to prevent food safety and food quality problems from occurring
- Responsible for following and enforcing procedures outlined in the Food Safety Plan and the Food Quality Plan an any other programs that support the SQF system and other third party audits
- During absences temporary coverage for this position will be determined by plant management.
Travel: 10% travel
Reports To: Plant Manager (dotted line to Corporate FSQA)
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.