Director of Food Safety & Quality Assurance
The Director of Food Safety & Quality Assurance will provide leadership and direction in developing and implementing a comprehensive, proactive Food safety and Quality Assurance Program that meets company objectives and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements. This position will be responsible for monitoring and directing the daily activities of the QC Department and coordinating activities with other departments to ensure that raw materials, packaging materials, work in process and finished goods conform to customer and corporate specifications.
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably Food Science, Food Technology or related field
- Minimum five years’ experience in Quality Assurance Management
- Working knowledge of food manufacturing and/or packaging, FDA Seafood HACCP, and
- Allergen Programs, AIB Food Sanitation, GMP's and Kosher Requirements
- Intermediate computer skills including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- In depth knowledge of GFSI accreditations ideally FSSC 22000 and BAP
- Self-motivated with a high level of energy, and initiative
- Strong analytical skills with good problem-solving abilities
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Excellent organizational skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- Some ability to travel to other locations
• Motivate, lead, and direct the quality control department
Implement and monitor HACCP, GMP and Allergen program
- Lead response to all third party audits of plants, implement and monitor HACCP, GMP and Allergen program
- Perform audits at plants, off-site warehouses and vendor's facilities to ensure conformance to regulatory, customer and corporate policy on product safety and quality.
- Coordinate plant sanitation monitoring and pest control programs
- Communicate disposition on held products and aging material inventory
- Create and maintain SOP's and finished product specifications
- Communicate directly with customers and outside regulatory agencies regarding food quality and safety
- Monitor and update Q.A. Program to provide continuous improvement
- Communicate to management all issues and decisions impacting production results, revenue, process improvements or department/staff issues
- Maintain all Quality Assurance related documentation and records
- Coordinate all vendor and customer audits as required.
- The Director is the designated GFSI Practitioner • The Director will work with the SVP of Production to establish and implement the training needs of plant personnel to ensure they have the required competencies to put into practice those policies and procedures affecting product legality, safety, and quality of the products packed.
- The Food Safety and QA Director is responsible for taking the appropriate action to ensure the overall integrity of the FSSC 22000 and BAP certifications.
Santa Monica Seafood is located in the Rancho Dominguez Technology Center and offers its employees a collegial work environment, competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and a 401(k) plan with generous employer match. Employees also enjoy a generous discount at our retail market/cafe/oyster bars and wholesale pricing on seafood purchases.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.