Assistant Quality and Food Safety Manager
- Assists the QA Manager in managing and implementing the plant Quality Management System according to corporate directives and expectations. Collaborates with the plant management team to maintain, modify and improve the Quality System.
- Anticipates and responds to regulatory agency requirements and reports related to food safety.
- Makes collaborative food safety and quality decisions regarding ingredient, raw product, in-process product and finished product conformance as designated by the QA Manager.
- Assists with plant internal audit functions and activities in order to be audit-ready.
- Member of the facility Food Safety Team, develops Hazard Analyses, HACCP/Preventive Control plans, and assures compliance with HACCP, FSMA and all regulatory requirements.
- Manages sample retention and evaluation program.
- Publishes regular and ad hoc reports on key Quality and Food Safety metrics. Analyzes data for process improvement opportunities.
- Provides coverage for the Quality Manager and other QA positions as needed. Work schedule times and days may vary, including weekends.
- Facilitates investigation and corrective actions in response to customer and consumer product quality and food safety-related questions and complaints. Assists with related corrective action plans and implementation as necessary.
- Provides training to QA Supervisors and technicians, as well as other members of the plant team, under the direction of the QA Manager.
- Looks for opportunities to reduce system cost as appropriate.
- Assures that any issues are addressed and corrected in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Food Safety & Food Security Responsibilities: All persons within the company have responsibilities to assure that threats to the safety and security of our final product are minimized.
For this position, the food safety and food security responsibilities are in the validation and verification of the related plant policies. The policy should at minimum meet all state, federal and customer requirements. This position will assure that work is carried out in accordance with company policy.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Food Technology, Food Science, Microbiology or other related field.
- Minimum of 3 years in Quality and Food Safety Management in a food manufacturing environment.
- USDA-inspected RTE operations experience strongly preferred.
- Current HACCP and/or Preventive Controls Qualified Individual certification preferred.
- Oral Communication – Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees, management, customers and regulators. Able to simplify complex technical information for general audiences. Capable of creating professional presentations.
- Written Communication - Able to read and interpret written information, including technical information. Proficient at publishing concise, informative reports, presentations and Quality Systems documents.
- Organizational Support – Provides support to other departments as related to Quality and Food Safety, such as Sales, Product Development, Product Management, Operations and Marketing. Follows policies and procedures. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Supports organization's goals and values.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently. Assures that documents and records are organized so as to be easily retrieved during an audit, corrective action or traceback activity.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a professional manner and assures that team members do as well.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Able to effectively deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability – Demonstrates integrity by responding to management direction, taking responsibility for own actions, and keeping commitments.
- Technical Skills –Quality and Food Safety expert for the facility. Ability to analyze data and scientific information.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions. Bi-lingual language skills a plus.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to analyze data using spreadsheets, formulas, statistical tools, etc.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Computer Skills: Proficient at Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.