Rancho Laguna Farms is a commercial berry and row crop grower located in Santa Maria, CA. We are a family owned business with an aggressive growth history over the last few years and looking for members to continue our growth toward innovation and a successful track record.
We have an immediate opening for a Safety Specialist in Santa Maria, CA to join our team.
As the Safety Specialist you will design, train, implement and monitor food and worker safety policies. You will directly oversee safety investigations, develops best resolution practices and reduces business risk, while ensuring consistency, fairness, effectiveness, proper documentation and timely follow-up.
- Coordinate, train, administer, and improve the Company’s safety programs to include, but not limited to, the Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Return to Work Program, Tractor and Forklift, First Aid, Heat Illness Prevention, Hazard Communication Program and Food Safety Program
- Worker’s Compensation Claim Management. Review, monitor, and supervise the claims process. Maintain the early return to work and modified duty program, monitor and analyze accident and injury trends
- Develop methods for decreasing injury frequency and severity rates resulting in a safer workplace for our employees
- Maintain a presence at field locations, conduct or oversee effective internal audits and weekly crew inspections and provide employees with an opportunity to discuss any matter relating to safety and food safety
- Should act quickly and thoroughly investigate any food or worker safety issues to determine the root cause as well as what corrective actions are needed to remedy
- Ensures that all Food Safety programs are functioning as designed, being followed by all appropriate personnel, and correctly documented
- Must be thoroughly versed in 3rd party Food Safety Audits as well as be prepared to be the secondary contact in the event that the Food Safety Manager is unavailable
- Provide topics, coordinate and verify monthly ‘Tailgate’ Safety Meetings and randomly observe meetings are being conducted by all departments with no exception
- Accountable for case management, progress reporting and document tracking for internal investigations on worker and food safety
- Meet or facilitate travel for injured employees at doctor or hospital, assist with necessary paperwork, and make appropriate reports
- Ensure Record Keeping and Posting Requirements documentation are maintained per mandated record retention regulation
- Conduct analysis of investigation case data to recognize and report trends monthly, quarterly and at year end. Design strategies, processes for preventing similar issues in the future
- Routinely inspect all equipment and vehicles regarding safety conditions
- Collaborate with Management regarding preventing workplace injuries and mitigating risk
- Inspect and maintain all first aid kits and provide safety and food safety orientations
- Works with Human Resources Management to conduct monthly safety committee meetings
- Attend seminars, workshops, training sessions and other educational opportunities to stay current on legal requirements and best practices
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proven experience in Food and Worker Safety Training, Investigations and Employee Relations. Willing to train the right person with limited experience.
- Fluency in both verbal and written English and Spanish required
- Must demonstrate outstanding stewardship and relationship building/management skills
- Effectively manages multiple projects with competing priorities and changing expectations
- Knowledge and experience of the farming industry and issues
- Proficient using standard office software such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
- Valid California Class “C” CDL and driving record within MVR policy guidelines
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.