Food Safety & Quality Assurance Director
Join PURIS and be a part of our aspiration to build a PLANT STRONG PLANET. PURIS brings food growers, food makers, and food eaters together to feed the growing plant-based revolution. Here in the USA we manufacture organic and non-GMO, plant-based ingredients that form the basis of some of the fastest growing products on your grocer's shelves. We provide a safe and secure food supply that is made in the USA. Our model is grounded in over 30 years of non-GMO natural breeding and sustained by an alliance of domestic growers and partners who share our high standards. Our process ensures a wholesome journey from seed to solution.
As a FSQR Director at PURIS you are responsible for leading the PURIS FSQR department. You are responsible for developing, maintaining, and auditing current quality and regulatory programs such as HACCP, SQF, SSOP, Organic, Non-GMO Project, and GMP programs. You are responsible for the development and control of FSMA programs, projects, scheduling of staff members and assisting in training of Food Safety, Quality, and Regulatory team members. Responsible for the management and development of FSQR managers. In the absence of the FSQR manager the position will act as a liaison between auditors and plant operations. This position has accountability for multiple facilities. Must be able to abide by PURIS’ SOPs, SSOPs, and Quality Standards at all times. Safety is our #1 priority, therefore the FSQR Director must adhere to all plant policies with regard to Safety, Food Safety, and Good Manufacturing Practices.
The FSQR Director must also embody the PURIS Core Values: Integrity, Leadership, Openness, Global Vision, Adaptability, and Partnership.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Attract, retain, and develop A-players throughout the organization and specifically within FSQR.
- Ensure efficient operation of facilities and staff by striving to hit plant objectives for output, quality and safety.
- Ensure all customer specifications are in alignment with process capability prior to acceptance.
- Ensure systems are in place for managing customer specifications, meeting customer policy requirements and dealing with customer complaints, should they arise.
- Support PURIS Commercial and R&D colleagues with customer visits by assuring the plants are equipped with the knowledge for these visits and lead support as FSQR knowledge expert.
- Manage existing and developing technical relationships with customers to resolve FSQR related issues.
- Own the quality program for contract manufacturers and products made by third parties.
- Direct supervision of FSQR Managers, conducting reviews, one-on-ones, maintaining development plans and serving as scheduler when Managers are absent. Assist with FSQR team development and succession plans.
- Coordinate and review all training programs for employees on food safety programs regulatory changes, specification changes and other program updates.
- Remain fully updated with developments on legal, labelling, food safety changes, customer requirements and supplier facility capabilities.
- Provide oversight for current HACCP programs, SQF, SSOP, Organic, Non-GMO, SOPs, Supplier Verification, FSMA, and Pest Control programs and records.
- Develop quality programs for new products, facilities, or other items as needed.
- Conduct quarterly corporate Food Safety reviews to cover Food Safety Incident Reporting, incident investigations, corrective actions, and root cause analysis. Work with Managers to coordinate all audits, customer visits and serve in conjunction with other FSQR members on complaint/claims investigation and follow-up and audit responses.
- Assist with other duties and projects as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- 5-8 years of experience in quality management in the food, pharmaceutical, or medical device industries
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, engineering, biology, or equivalent
- PCQI certified and SQF practitioner
- Previous experience hosting customer and regulator audits
- Demonstrated proficiency in microbiology methods and results
- Experience designing and managing an environmental monitoring program
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistical methods for continuous processing
Required Skills and Capabilities:
- Ability to weigh multiple variables to make judgement calls required to keep production on schedule
- Partner with production, commercial, operations, and third party labs to optimize product release cycle.
- Demonstrate customer focus and adaptability to ensure PURIS is providing 5-star customer service
- Inspire continuous improvement in quality and food safety aspects through training, employee engagement, and other programs.
- Ability to see the big picture and drive for harmonization of quality programs throughout the PURIS organization.
- Travel up to 30%
PURIS offers competitive wages, health, dental and vision insurance upon qualification, as well as a generous PTO package and 401k.
PURIS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, genetics or any other protected class in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.