Field Food Safety Manager
Prima® Wawona is the world’s leading grower and marketer of peaches, plums, and nectarines. We have a reputation for being innovative and having well-managed operations. Our plants and offices are in Reedley, Kerman, Sanger, Cutler, and Fresno, California.
We are hiring a Field Food Safety Manager to join our team in Culter, CA.
The Field Food Safety Manager is a member of the Food Safety Management Group, that reports to the Director of Food Safety. You will be accountable for the management execution, performance, effectiveness, and continuous improvement of the Food Safety & Good Agricultural Practices programs for the farming operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Field Food Safety Manager is responsible for leading, developing, planning, and directing Food Safety and Good Agricultural Practices for farming operations, ensuring that company standards are exceeded with a targeted emphasis on continued improvements, providing support, structure, and documented formalized GAP’s training for all field employees with the organization
- Responsible for the implementation of Food Safety, organic, regulatory initiatives to ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations as well as compliance with specific customer requirements
- Responsible to ensure audit readiness for all internal Food Safety, FDA, CDFA, USDA, NOP, CDPH, and regulatory agencies at the Federal, State or local level and all other 2nd and 3rd Party audits certification processes
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of Internal Food Safety risk assessments for farming operations
- Responsible for reviewing, updating, and helping maintain Good Agricultural Practice documents and Food Safety programs for farming operations
- Responsible for the coordination and verification that growers, harvesters, and labor contractors maintain compliance with all applicable Food Safety, regulatory and Organic requirements
- Responsible for coordinating and assisting the training of farming personnel to ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory and Food Safety standards
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of third party and internal Food Safety audits and their preparations and follow up (Primus GFSI, NOP, customer and regulatory)
- Identify areas of potential Food Safety concern and ensure corrective actions are implemented
- Provide support to Food Safety teams for Mock Recall exercises to verify product recall efficiency and effectiveness
- Coordinate with field Managers to establish a defined, training, work instructions, and through verification activities ensure the effectiveness of Food Safety Policies
- Evaluate practices, procedures, equipment to detect and report any Food Safety conditions that require immediate corrective action to ensure
- Work closely with Field Managers on any food safety or quality issues
- Establish and maintain effective working relations with all applicable representatives of Prima Wawona growers, harvesters, suppliers, etc.
- Responsible Management and coordination of Field Food Safety Coordinators
- Attention to Detail- Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks.
- Problem Solving- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations. Identifies, collects, and organizes data for analysis and decision-making.
- Business Acumen- Understands business implications of decisions.
- Strategic Thinking- Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Decision Making- Makes timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, constraints, and risks.
- Researching Information- Screens out irrelevant and vague information, keeping the high-quality data. Questions the limits, quality, and accuracy of data; digs for details and confirms suspect data. Identifies, collects, and organizes data for analysis and decision-making.
- Safety Focus- Checks for and reports potential hazards or breaches of food safety plans while in the workplace or in the field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Chemistry, Food Science or a related fields such as Biology or Nutrition
- A minimum of 2-5 years of Food Safety experience in agriculture or food production, with management-level experience in GAP, GHP, USDA, or FSMA preferred
- Other experience, training, or certification may be substituted for education
- Primus GFSI
- PSA Grower Training Course (Produce Safety Alliance)
Language: Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Comprehensive knowledge of Food Safety, FSMA, and GAP’s.
- Previous experience with SQF, GFSI, Primus, BRC, GMP's, GAP'S, and/or USDA audits desirable.
- Excellent people management and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be driving cars, trucks, forklifts, or other equipment. This position will be exposed to adverse weather conditions. The employee may need to walk on uneven ground, work near equipment or machinery. The noise level that is typical of this work environment is moderate.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes nights, weekends, and holidays; this is critical to support the needs of the business and is subject to change.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.