Quality Control Manager
Pacific Trellis Fruit has been in business since 1999. Since then, we have become one of America’s top year-round growers, shippers, and marketers of premium fresh fruits like table grapes, cherries, plums, nectarines, peaches and more. Dulcinea Farms joined Pacific Trellis Fruit in 2014, expanding our lineup to include tasty mini and full-size seedless melons as well as cantaloupes.
We have a spectacular opportunity for a Quality Control Manager to join our team in Nogales, AZ.
The Quality Control Manager performs a key role in the marketing of company products in partnership with Sales, Operations, Marketing, Transportation and Executive Company leaders; as well as 3rd Party cold storage staff to investigate problems, identify opportunities and resolve inquiries related to shipping and inventory in a timely and effective manner.
The primary goal of the position is ensuring consistency of all Pacific Trellis Fruit Quality Control SOP’s while working closely with company leaders and as needed interaction with growers and shippers to supply information and support the requirements of import programs.
- Leadership and management of 3rd Party QC service providers and Pacific Trellis Quality Control employees and teams.
- Support in the allocation of the product following retail customer specifications.
- Retail customer specifications support in allocation of right product to right customer.
- Monitors and acts upon shipment reports of condition and quality reports with a particular focus on age, cold chain shelf life and the post-harvest behavior of product.
- Inventory rotation and secondary inspection based on aging and pack dates (re-inspections).
- Ensures information (e.g., product quality, inventory, re-pack, and reconditioning activities) are entered and maintained within electronic system files.
- Other duties assigned as required*
- Ability to multi-task timely, confidently, and comfortably in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in both in a team setting as well as independently to meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and computer skills.
- Team Player, assertive, friendly, and effective leadership skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work through conflict and effectively address issues.
- Ability to adapt and function effectively in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Working knowledge of USDA grade standards, and of fresh produce shipper/grower QC specifications, as well as retail customer specifications.
- Working knowledge of FSMA and USDA Food Safety standards.
- Knowledge of post-harvest disciplines.
- Fact-based decision-making ability.
- Flexible and open to new ways of doing things.
- Ability to be on-call and to occasionally work extended days and/or weekends.
Education / Experience / Certifications
- 3+ years of working experience in import requirements from regulatory divisions of USDA, PPQ, CBP, and FDA as related to fresh fruit Import requirements and regulations.
- 1+ year of exposure and familiarity with Food Safety standards based on FSMA and 3rd Party Audits (Primus).
- Bi-lingual Spanish (preferred)
- 4+ years management experience in Quality Inspections and program controls in the produce industry.
- 4+ years of experience leading and managing a Quality Team/employees and Quality Control Department Operation.
- Ability to travel overnight as required to other facilities and office locations.
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time to assist with company programs.
- Ability to travel to port locations and inland warehouses.
Physical Requirements and Working Environment
- Work in an office environment with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, speaking on the phone, and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 45 pounds on occasion.
- Ability to work in cold 32-degree cold temperatures environments.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.