Food Safety Supervisor
The Food Safety Supervisor is directly responsible for overseeing Ocean Mist Farms’ Food Safety, Food Defense, and Sustainability programs.
This position provides the technical expertise to administer the corporate strategy for: Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), and other FDA/EPA regulations that pertain to the farming, harvesting, cooling and transportation of our crops in Castroville and all satellite locations. In addition, leads all efforts associated with farm & facility resource conservation. The incumbent will supervise others, including and up to, hiring, training, mentoring, developing, providing employee feedback, disciplinary communication, and conducting annual performance evaluations.
- Effectively supervise and lead a diverse food safety team.
- Engage effectively, with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Develop, implement and enforce robust food safety/sustainability policies and programs that meet corporate objectives and provide effective education on food safety and sustainability.
- Adhere to current FSMA food safety standards as minimum standards for farm, harvest and facility operations.
- Apply a scientific and risk-based approach to solving food safety problems.
- Implement and oversee third-party auditing process as well as in-house inspections of farms and facilities.
- Develop facility and farm Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) according to GAP, GMP, HACCP, and other international standards, regulatory requirements, and customer expectations.
- Oversee the coordination and review of all chemical/microbiological testing of crops as required by customers or company standards.
- Promote company programs by educating customers and employees on trends and changes affecting food safety and quality standards.
- Conduct research and report on new technologies and processes.
- Address and resolve customer and consumer complaints effectively.
- Serve as a guide for facility and field tours.
- Provide customers and other interested parties with best-in-class presentation of Ocean Mist Farms’ program.
- Work with contracted third parties to ensure the strategic goals of the program are met.
- Prepare and remain within annual departmental budget; manage expenses.
- Mentor staff and be a valuable resource.
- Assist to develop a Sustainability program to meet the Environmental Stewardship goals of the organization.
- Provide technical expertise to growers and others regarding co-management.
- Collect data to update Ocean Mist Farms’ conservation efforts and use this information to set goals and measure progress.
- Raise awareness about the program within the organization and encourage employees to participate.
- Provide details about the program to customers and other interested parties.
- Provide updates to website content upon request.
- Bilingual English and Spanish with the ability to communicate, read, write and translate at a proficient level is strongly desired; must maintain a valid driver’s license and be insurable.
A minimum of 5 years in a supervisorial role, consulting, and training skills is highly desired.
A minimum of 2 years of hands on knowledge of food science principles, post-harvest physiology, and statistical experimental design is preferred; working knowledge of analytical instrumentation and ability to troubleshoot.
4 years of experience in the fresh processing industry in food safety and/or quality with understanding of general principles in microbiology, sanitation, pest management, and equipment design is required, with 2 years of experience in the agriculture industry, directly involved in field audits and policy implementation.
Knowledge of GAP, GMP’s, HACCP and USDA/FDA guidelines as related to the fresh produce industry is required.
Proficient in various programs and Famous database desired, including MS Office (Access, Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) applications and internet research skills; excellent typing and writing skills a must (correct spelling, punctuation and grammar); excellent interpersonal skills and strong communication skills.
Proven ability to:
Work well with all levels of internal management and staff as well as outside clients and vendors; work well under pressure and meet various deadlines.
Be well organized and able to multitask; work independently and manage a project from initiation to completion with minimal supervision.
Learn and absorb new duties with minimal repetition or re-training from supervisor; carry out defined procedures with specific instructions.
Maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, vendors and peers; and maintain a balanced outlook during stressful times.
Proactively communicate task and project updates to supervisor; discreet handling of all business matters (maintaining confidentiality at all levels is a must).
- Lead 6-12 hour audits of both field and facility; take initiative in all projects; keep projects on schedule; coordinate work flow effectively, efficiently, and neatly; be a self-starter and self-driven, ensure delegated tasks are completed with minimal supervisor follow up.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Biological Sciences, or related field preferred with at least four years of relevant work experience.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.