Food Safety Specialist
Help support the goals and objectives of Ocean Mist Farms’ food safety program;
Develop and implement policies and programs that provide guidance and education on food safety and food defense;
Enforce policies related to food safety and defense through auditing;
Adhere to Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and Leafy Greens standards (LGMA) as minimum standards for agricultural fields;
Adhere to Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) as minimum standards for facilities;
Coordinate and oversee third-party audits as well as in-house inspections of fields and facilities;
Develop facility/field standard operating procedures according to food safety and food defense standards;
Promote Ocean Mist Farms programs by educating suppliers, customers, and employees;
Verify the proper function, calibration, and accuracy of quality/food safety monitoring equipment such as scales, thermometers, ORP meters, and metal detectors;
Sample and evaluate held product against standards to assist in final dispositions;
Maintain a safe working environment and accident free work record;
Assist in troubleshooting food safety problems and implementing improvements. Help evaluate new testing equipment;
Sample and/or document incoming materials on arrival; check certificates of analysis, lot numbers, and quantities and test against standards;
Accurately document and report test results in a timely manner;
Make determinations on acceptance or rejection of materials based on testing, experience, and consultation with management, when necessary;
Communicate analytical information in proper format to the appropriate manager as required or directed in a timely manner;
Review chemical inventory and helps update respective SDS files;
Address customer/ consumer inquiries and handle food safety related complaints;
Facilitate in communication of food safety information to employees, customers and suppliers;
Maintain food safety database;
Conduct detailed and documented risk assessments;
Investigate incident reports
Conduct prepared food safety training sessions as needed
Coordinate and collect environmental swabs for harvest machines, Value Added and Cold Rooms.
- Experience in food science or biological/physical sciences is required;
- 2 + years of experience in food safety/quality assurance in a manufacturing environment is preferred;
- Familiarity with product trace-back/recall policies and procedures is preferred;
- Good math, written and verbal communication skills is required;
- Computer literacy with familiarity with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point is required;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential. Must have ability to speak in large group settings to employees, customers and vendors;
- Candidates must be well organized and comfortable working independently;
- Strong technical knowledge of food safety is preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in science preferred; will consider Associates Degree with comparable experience in food safety, microbiology, or quality assurance;
- Requires continuing education in food safety, quality assurance and other job related areas.
- Bilingual English-Spanish a definite plus.
- Valid California Drivers License, Class C, be insurable and ability to operate a company vehicle is required.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- May require walking for long periods of time on uneven terrain as part of field audits;
- Ability to travel and work in remote locations;
- Office equipment to be used (not inclusive list): 10-key calculator by touch, telephone, computer keyboard, photocopy machine, fax, scanner, postage meter and other clerical and office equipment;
- Often standing, walking, sitting, reaching, turning, climbing stairs for long periods of time;
- Ability to work in an office and cooler environment with a temperature range between 34 – 70+ degrees Fahrenheit;
- Ability to work in a field environment with temperatures ranging from 40 – 110+ degrees Fahrenheit;
- Ability to lift 50 pounds without undue physical exertion and ability to stoop, reach, walk and other physical activities associated with an office and field environment;
- Ability to communicate verbally and comprehend verbal instructions and requires sufficient sight and hearing to perform all job functions;
- Positive attitude with willingness to proactively solve issues;
- Ability to carry out defined procedures with specific instructions and ability to learn new duties with minimal repetition;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Must be a self-starter, ability to work independently and manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal supervision;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, customers, vendors and peers;
- Maintain professional relationships with colleagues and a balance outlook during stressful times.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.