Food Safety Processing Supervisor
The people behind Ocean Mist Farms are our company's greatest assets. Dedicated, talented and diverse, our company takes pride in the part that we play, ensuring that Ocean Mist Farms' premium-quality vegetables arrive fresh on the plates of consumers around the world.
Many members of our team are long-time employees of 15 years or more, with several being second generation employees of the company. We take pride in our sustainable employee model, providing competitive wages, job growth opportunities, and exceptional incentive and benefit plans to families in our community.
The Food Safety Processing Supervisor is located at our headquarters in Castroville, California. The position reports to and supports the Food Safety Manager. This position is responsible for oversight of food safety standards in the processing plant for: Spinach, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, and Artichokes and medley packs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Enforce the food safety programs for staff of 60 plus employees:
- Primus GFS
- Preventive Controls Rule for FSMA
- Ocean Mist Foods GMPs
- Oversee Quality Control team responsible for monitoring Critical Control Points
- Train processing and sanitation employees
- Occasionally conduct nighttime sanitation evaluation
- Third party audit preparation
- Monthly GMP inspection
- Daily Pre-operation Inspection review
- PCQI Documentation review and sign off–Daily
- Incident Reports/ Foreign Material Log
- Environmental swabbing of Value Added
- Laboratory Certificate of Analysis Review and sign off – Weekly
- ATP data review
- Act as liaison between sanitation team and upper management
- Participate in HACCP verification/validation activities
- Maintain SDS binder
- Maintain orderly training records
- Supplier evaluation and verification
- New equipment evaluation and sanitation verification
- Deliver Samples to Laboratory in Salinas
- Conduct food safety training sessions as needed for Cold Room employee’s (ie. Handwashing, Hygiene, Glass Policies)
- Maintain supply inventory & list
- Ability to update and create Food Safety Logs, Forms, SOP’s and Policies.
- Support customer complaint inquiries
- Mock recall exercises
- Support Preventive Maintenance Program
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or years of experience
- Four years of experience in the fresh processing industry in food safety and/or quality with understanding of general principles in microbiology, sanitation, pest management, and equipment design is required.
- A minimum of 2 years in a supervisorial role, consulting, and training skills is highly desired.
- Knowledge of Preventive Controls, GMP’s, HACCP, and FDA guidelines as they relate to our operations.
- Food Safety Certifications for Preventive Controls is preferred and HACCP is required.
- Computer literate
- Working knowledge of computers & software as utilized in the Food Safety environment: Windows operating system, Word, Excel, and ATP software.
- Must be extremely well organized and able to multitask.
- Bilingual English & Spanish is required.
- Valid Driver’s License, Class C, be insurable and ability to operate a company vehicle is required.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE
We take pride in taking care of our employees and their families by providing an affordable and competitive benefits program. Health insurance coverage is also extended to the dependents of our employees. We pay 83% of the cost for dependents ($1.5 million annually) to keep employee share of costs at a minimum.
Our comprehensive array of benefit options include medical, prescription, dental, vision, life insurance coverage for employee and their dependents. Other supplemental insurance coverage options are also available (Short Term Disability, Cancer, Critical Illness, Term Life, Hospital Confinement & Accident).
- On-site exercise room, fitness incentives, and year-round Health & Wellness programming
- Employee Assistance Program (including mental health and legal counseling)
- Monthly fresh produce giveaways
Professional Development: Ocean Mist Farms provides an education reimbursement program, development seminars, as well as in-house and offsite education opportunities to expand and improve our employee knowledge base. Professional development even extends beyond the employee. We offer scholarship and internship program opportunities for the children of our employees attending college.
Savings and Investment Plans
- Ocean Mist Farms offers several avenues for tax-deferred savings and investment.
- 401(k) — Diversified investment options that help our employees to save and invest for the future. Take advantage of Fidelity Investments 401(k) withholdings in any of the available funds and save regularly for retirement with elective payroll deferrals.
- Profit-Sharing Plan — Ocean Mist Farms provides a government-approved profit-sharing plan for the benefit of eligible employees. This plan is designed to provide an income to our employees when they reach retirement age.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) – Ocean Mist Farms provides an FSA program to offset out-of-pocket expenses for medical and dependent care expenses.
Work Life Balance
At Ocean Mist Farms, we believe in time away from work to rest, relax, and recharge. Per calendar year, we offer seven paid holidays, up to three weeks of vacation, and up to ten sick days.
Join our exceptional team and make your mark with an industry leader! We offer a variety of positions in all areas of our business and also share open positions with partnering companies who manage various aspects of our farm production and harvest crews.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.