Food Safety Manager
SUMMARY: The Food Safety Manager leads all functions of food safety implementation at the plant to assure the production of high quality, safe and legally compliant products that meet the desired product design, and customer expectations. This Manager assist in the development of standards, maintains and oversees all Quality systems and programs/procedures related to food safety, and leads continuous improvement on Quality and Food Safety. The position is at the Mizkan Deming Plant in New Mexico. This Manager reports to the Plant Quality Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages QA/Food Safety technical and compliance system to ensure food safety by creating, maintaining, updating, evaluating, or auditing all programs and policies as needed for full certification according to Good Manufacturing Practices, HAACP, FSMA, GFSI, etc.
- Leads and supports Mizkan and external standards (GFSI.) implementation and drives the appropriate Q&FS mindset and behavior
- Sustains efficient quality management system, in compliance to GFSI, HACCP and Mizkan standards, including CAPA and training programs
- Works closely with QA manager to review and utilize key metrics, of holds, customer complaints, and audits outcomes, to coordinate and verify implementation of site CAPA activities
- Monitors quality and food safety incidents, supporting decision making for out of specification materials and products, ensuring that relevant established corrective and preventive actions are implemented
- Accountable for quality food safety risk assessments
- Participates in key continuous improvement projects in close collaboration with factory team, Business unit functions including operations, engineering, commercial and supplier quality assurance
- Leads HACCP and food safety committees
- Responsible supervision and verification of all prerequisite food safety programs and calibrations
- Maintains, assures verification and archives all production and food safety related data as required by GFSI, HACCP and Local/State/Federal regulatory agencies.
- Participates in new product scale-ups and roll-outs, verifying complete compliance of Mizkan and customer specification information
- Reviews process deviations to provide root cause analysis to process deviation issues and evaluations of current processing; working with outside process authority
- Maintains and updates the recall program, acting as Recall Team Leader for the facility
- Develops training materials and provides training for plant associates in food safety systems including HACCP, Good Manufacturing Practices, Allergen Management and Food Defense
- Conducts internal food safety audits, and participate in all facility audits (GFSI, 3rd party and customer) as well as all local/State/federal regulatory agencies visits
EDUCATION / EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, microbiology, or other relevant degree
- 4+ years relevant experience in Food Quality and or Manufacturing environment
- 3+ years demonstrated success in relevant manufacturing/quality experience
- 3+ years of proven leadership with line management experience
- Must be able to draw on personal experience and apply your own judgment to reach firm decisions
- A proven track record in coaching and developing teams and individuals
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) Certification
- HACCP/ HARPC experience and certification
- SQF practitioner preferred
- Statistics, Problem solving and Lean Six Sigma methods
- Food microbiology, analytical chemistry, and sensory methods
- Process engineering, manufacturing equipment, and controls
- Agricultural product knowledge/experience a PLUS
- Bilingual English and Spanish preferred.
- Heat Penetration Analysis
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.