Senior Food Scientist
Mighty Spark Food Co. is committed to building the highest customer loyalty food brand in the country, and we are looking for an exceptional individual to lead our Production & Distribution efforts. Inspired by craft beer and born into the Minneapolis Farmer’s Market, we have exploded to become the fastest growing meat brand in the country. We are disrupting grocers from coast to coast with our premium unique meats on a trajectory unheard of in our niche market.
Create the best quality, most delicious, crave-inducing products on the market. Raise the bar for the fresh and frozen meat categories.
Purpose & Core Accountabilities:
- Looking even our best in the eye and saying, “Nope. Not. Good. Enough.”
- New Product Development: Create epic food. Repeat.
- Product Improvement: Never, ever settle for anything less than a “10”. Simultaneously, you’ve got to admit that improvement can be made on everything.
- Transfer concept to reality: Your food is art; creations as unique as a snowflake. Now copy your snowflake a million times so everyone can have a taste.
- Alternative use development: Thinking far outside the standard box will be key as you shift our customer’s thinking and provide recipe development for how to use our products outside of the grill.
- Quality: Constantly dial up the expectations for our co-packing partners to reach new heights in product quality… kind of like cooking lobsters in a pot.
- Work closely with Marketing Innovation lead to understand marketing strategies and bring them to life in the Innovation & R&D process
- Using best-in-class meat science skills, develop products that meet Marketing and USDA requirements.
- Lead plant trials and work closely with manufacturing partners, via a thorough understanding of plant processing and equipment.
- Bring a Culinary point of view to the team, with an eye on trends and the competitive landscape; present opportunities and creative ways to develop new technology, flavors and products (help us think outside the box and build an amazing Innovation Pipeline!)
- Lead meat science and quality efforts throughout R&D process and product lifecycle, with an eye for technical requirements such as shelf life, bloom and formulation
- Continually assess competitive landscape to ensure we’re doing it better, every time, with every single product we develop (and bring ideas to the table!)
- Work closely with Suppliers to source ingredients and assess materials costs throughout the product development stage
- Incredible culinary and food science skills.
- Ability to manage a large number of projects and initiatives simultaneously.
- An innovative mindset with the ability to solve problems creatively and with a food science hat on.
- Understand the big picture, bringing marketing strategies to life.
- Significant experience in meat science (shelf life, bloom, formula development, technical expertise), ingredients sourcing and benchtop development (we need you to bring our mission of making remarkable food to life!)
- A passion for recipe creation and experimentation in the kitchen
- Understanding of meat packaging and best ways to shelve items and preserve product quality.
- Knowledge of Excel and related software.
- Extensive knowledge of food trends.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Process improvement.
- A passion for amazing food!
- Highly-driven, possessing the vision and determination to succeed.
- Desire to work in a high-growth, fast-paced organization.
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with cross-functional teams including marketing, operations and sales.
- Flexible approach to work with the ability to pivot and problem-solve.
- Focused and professional attitude.
- Resilient and enthusiastic in all areas.
- Can influence and communicate effectively across internal teams, manufacturing partners and suppliers.
- Ability to self-manage is paramount.
5-7 years experience in a related role with a degree in Food Science, Meat Science or Culinology is preferred. Must have at least 3 years experience specifically working with raw and pre-cooked meats in a technical role.
We would really like a culinary genius with personality who wants to create truly epic foods.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.