Food Safety Program Manager
Under general supervision and in conjunction with Markon’s Food Safety Director and Coordinator, manage the day to day food safety department program to ensure supplier compliance with Markon’s Food Safety program and the effective management of the department’s essential duties and responsibilities.
- Work with Markon’s Food Safety Director and Coordinator to maintain the Markon supplier food safety database (food safety audits, assessments, etc.)
- Stay engaged with produce food safety best practices and regulatory requirements as they evolve with emerging food safety research, etc. to ensure the integrity of Markon’s Food Safety program
- Request and reviews audits and supporting food safety documentation as necessary and manage follow up with suppliers to ensure corrective actions are appropriately implemented
- Prepare correspondence related to corrective actions, audit compliance, timelines for required activities, product complaints related to food safety, etc.
- Work with new suppliers during supplier onboarding process
- Monitor produce related food safety alerts on a regular basis and work with Food Safety Director to execute effective communication of such events (recalls, outbreaks, crisis, etc.) to members, customers, etc.
- In conjunction with the Food Safety Director, and at times Markon’s Crisis team, work to complete product recall activities and assist with crisis management
- Manage the execution of food safety related requests from end customers, including multi-unit accounts and/or regulatory agencies to maintain Markon’s compliance with customer requirements
- Support customer complaint process to ensure concerns are appropriately addressed, investigated and tracked
- Attend relevant industry meetings and events to represent Markon’s and its members’ interests through engagement with the Produce Industry
- Work with the Food Safety Director, other Markon staff, and outside organizations (suppliers, consultants/industry experts or regulatory agencies) as necessary
- Establishes and maintains effective channels of communications with internal and external contacts
- Is highly organized, solution oriented, independent and selfmotivated, enthusiastic, dependable and driven by excellence
- Adjusts tasks and focus in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities
- Demonstrates a high level of proficiency with written and verbal communication and effective listening skills
- Able to facilitate meetings and conference calls effectively
- Occasionally: bend, twist, push, pull, climb, squat, crawl, kneel
- Frequently: sit, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stand and walk; grasp with hands and fingers; and lift up to 10 pounds.
- Continuously: use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; see (including close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus), hear and speak; key (i.e., computer, calculator, telephone)
- Minimal routine travel within proximity to the regular assigned work location; occasional travel to regional trainings and conferences
- Any combination of education and experience that provide the skills needed to successfully complete the essential functions; typically, through a Bachelor’s or Associates degree and at least one year of experience in a support position, preferably in Food Safety or produce
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Outlook (heavy email communication, management, tracking & follow-up), Word (mail merge, general formatting) and Excel (database management, tracking, updated, filtering, sorting, not afraid of managing large spreadsheets) and online file sharing with the ability to quickly learn specific software
- Ability to respond effectively to basic inquiries from the public, co-workers, and business affiliates via phone and email and to write clear reports, business correspondence (formal emails) and procedures. Spanish is a plus but not required.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and resolve issues independently and with sound judgment
- Demonstrates competency in job knowledge and essential responsibilities
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills, as well as listening skills
- Demonstrates tact, courtesy and attention with internal and external contacts
- Decisions and actions are sound, evaluates solutions and selects appropriate courses of action, involving others as necessary
- Develops short- and long-range goals and uses various tools to enhance personal effectiveness and team success
- Builds an environment that fosters teamwork and positive, supportive cooperation
- Consistently demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, professionalism and dependability, ensures work is completed in a timely manner
- Models high standards of leadership; willingly exerts extra effort as needed to get the job done, delegates as appropriate, demonstrates ‘big picture” thinking, commitment and flexibility
- Demonstrates ability to supervise, train, hire and inspire team members
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.