PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Food Safety Specialist is accountable for a comprehensive food safety program to ensure all products meet established company standards, FDA and State government regulations and food safety laws. The Food Safety Specialist is responsible for establishing and maintaining processes to monitor, verify, measure and report on all aspects of food safety and regulatory compliance in the bakeries. Key responsibilities include overseeing pathogen environmental monitoring program, assuring microbiological and allergen cross-contamination prevention, HACCP (HARPC) plan maintenance, overseeing food safety preventative control programs and training. This individual is a member of the Quality Assurance team but has key interaction with Legendary Baking bakery management and crewmembers to assure food safety.
A full-time position (salaried / exempt)
Support to bakery operations
Support to Headquarters Quality Assurance
1. Develop and maintain HACCP (HARPC) plans, along with supporting Preventative Control programs.
2. Oversee execution of Environmental Monitoring Program and corrective action if necessary.
3. Track and trend food safety incident reports and ensure appropriate corrective action and preventative controls are established when incidents occur.
4. Assist operations with creating, updating and maintaining Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs) and perform the annual cleaning/allergen verification and validation.
5. Work closely with R&D and bakery management to complete food safety assessment for new product development.
6. Verify food safety through grading forms, auditing and reporting. This includes SQF, HACCP, GMP and daily forms. Consult and advise bakery management on any issues. Work with the team to find solutions to problems.
7. Responsible for the knowledge, understanding, and enforcement of all company policies and government regulations. Works to ensure Legendary Baking’s Vision, Values and Culture is understood and followed by all employees starting with her/his behavior of leading by example.
8. Responsible for monitoring food safety, food quality and security daily including SQF and QCCPs. Communicate/report any violations of food security or suspicious activity to direct manager. Escalates issues to QA and upper management as appropriate.
9. Take steps to identify, isolate and report poor quality or potentially unsafe food materials. Work with bakery management to safely evaluate and disposition all such materials.
10. Maintain Alchemy training database including updating and creating food safety and quality training as needed.
11. Provide training to bakery employees as necessary to ensure compliance with Legendary Baking policies and government regulations.
12. Maintain an action register of food safety improvement projects and drive a cross-functional team for completion.
13. Utilize data collection, trend information and analysis to provide recommendations and drive continuous improvement.
14. Maintain and update documents, as directed.
15. Maintain ongoing food safety programs or other duties, as assigned.
16. Audit processes, procedures and GMPs to ensure food safety. Verify compliance with Legendary Baking policies and regulatory requirements.
17. Develop and maintain food safety risk assessment for raw materials and food contact packaging. Work closely with procurement and suppliers to acquire appropriate documentation to comply with supply approval program.
18. Audit external supplier facilities for food safety, food quality and ingredient specification compliance as needed.
In absence of a Food Safety Specialist, responsibilities of the Food Safety Specialist will be assumed by the Quality Assurance Specialist, Quality Assurance Manager or Quality Assurance Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ( PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ):
1. Position must be able to:
Work in -10 to 100 °F environments for short periods of time
Handle hot and cold materials and equipment
Reach above shoulder and below knee level
Submerge hands in hot water and cleaners
2. Sit 40% Walk 30% Stand 20% Stoop/Bend 10%
3. Communicate – verbal and written with good listening skills
4. Reading, writing skills in addition to advanced mathematical and reasoning skills to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
5. Evaluate food using sensory skills (appearance, flavor, aroma, consistency)
6. Occasionally lifts or moves weights up to 25 pounds
Four year degree in Food Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to successfully complete and obtain a certificate in required SQF training programs. Must be HACCP certified or receive HACCP certification within 3 months of hire. Must be computer literate, including word processing and spreadsheet applications. Must be able to work independently, at a fast pace, follow and give directions and make decisions. Must be flexible to work as needed on all shifts. Must have the ability to interact positively with all employees.