Summary: The Quality Manager (QM) will develop, organize and supervise Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Food Safety and Food Defense programs and activities that will ensure compliance with company policies, food safety standards, government regulations, and industry best practices including GMP and HARPC with the ultimate goal to meet customer expectations.
The QM will integrate quality assurance and quality control while providing guidance and feedback to production. This position will be responsible for maintaining the required Process and Product Certifications, such as BRC, Non GMO Project Verified, Gluten Free, Organic, Kosher.
The QM will report directly to the CEO and will coordinate with the Management Team, as well as the QA, QC and R&D functions of the Italian parent company.
Substitution Policy: In the event that a substitution is necessary, this position will substitute all direct reports in their absence and can be substituted by the manager/supervisor to whom they report.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the Food Safety/Quality Team, developing staff and utilizing them for the greatest effectiveness within the department.
- Lead the Food Safety/Quality Team in the development, implementation and maintenance of the food safety and quality systems.
- Overseeing management of the documentation system, investigations, root cause analyses, and corrective actions.
- Ensure compliance to international and federal food safety standards (including, but not limited to FSMA, FDA, USDA and interagency requirements.)
- Ensure the organization’s processes and systems are adequate to implement, achieve, and maintain BRC certification, Non GMO Project Verified, Gluten Free, Kosher, Organic.
- Support and mentor sanitation group, in order to improve sanitation and micro-testing products and environmental monitoring, in accordance with foods safety/quality standards.
- Management of documentation filing, internal auditing and management of the communication of quality information both internally and externally.
- Act as leader in customer audits and 3rd party audits
- Mange 2nd party audit
- Manage HARPC assessments and reassessments. Compose and edit HARPC plans and strategies for new products. Maintain HARPC records and file maintenance
- Maintain current library for all GMPs and SOPs
- Participate and contribute to continuous improvement of departmental SOPs
- Implement quality assurance programs that effectively monitor product manufacturing in a way that results in company compliance with regulatory SOPs, GMP, HACCP, and BRC standards for third party audit and customer product requirements including Kosher, Gluten Free, Organic and GMO Project certifications
- Establish and update manufacturing specifications, standards, protocols and procedures for quality control
- Develop and execute training programs that support the company’s objectives with regard to quality and food safety
- Apply administrative and record-keeping processes to support the programs listed above
- Ensure compliance with all quality programs including GMP and HACCP
- Evaluate and assist in developing processes, specifications and critical control points in manufacturing for ongoing quality assurance of all finished goods
- Ensure that all new regulations (i.e., FSMA) are quickly and accurately implemented at all assigned facilities and suppliers
- Manage the systems that drive quality in the processing plant
- Establish and integrate product standards (specs), including visuals, on the production floor
- Manage SPC (What does SPC mean?) data collection, process measurements, process analysis, reporting and recommendations for improvement
- Monitor customer complaint evaluations and introduce problem solving solutions
- Track key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Facilitate meetings based on KPIs to ensure that they are quality focused, streamlined and the measured results continue to improve
- Develop and conduct plant employee training on quality principles and product scoring calibration
- Identify areas of opportunity to reduce waste and improve efficiency
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Ensure that all internal Operational Departments (Production, Maintenance, R&D, Sales & Operations Planning and Procurement) needs are met by the Food Safety/Quality Department. For example: working closely with Sales & Operations Planning Manager to optimize the timely release of product; working closely with Maintenance Manager to oversee hygienic practice during industrial maintenance.
- Managing a robust and effective Supplier Assurance Program including supply chain preventive controls. Validate and audit raw material suppliers and ingredients, negotiating favorable arrangements for ingredient analysis. Assuring that Food Safety/Quality Team is maintaining regular audit schedule and has confidence in the integrity of food safety throughout the supply chain.
- Managing an effective environmental monitoring program.
Maintain up-to-date knowledge of:
- Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- Codex Alimentarius Standards
- CAC/GL 21-1997 Principles for the Establishment and Application of Microbiological Criteria for Foods,
- CAC/RCP 1-1969 Recommended International Code of Practice- General Principles of Food Hygiene, CAC/RCP 21-1979 Recommended International Code of Hygienic Practice for Foods for Infants and Children
- GFSI certifications
- Non GMO Project Verified, Kosher, Organic, Gluten Free
- Oversee product quality and food safety testing and relationships with 3rd party external labs.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Familiarity with standard quality control concepts, practices and procedures within food manufacturing
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness and ability to obtain specific training
- Strong data entry and data management skills
- Familiarity with food sanitation processes
- Willingness and ability to travel abroad for technical training
- Experience in team building and integration of a Food Safety/Quality team into successful
- Strong communication, leadership and organizational skills and ability to work collaboratively with quality team and with all other Managers.
- Experience in creating, implementing, maintaining, evaluating, enforcing and updating a facility’s GMPs, HARPC, SSOP and SOP’s programs.
- Knowledge of importing/exporting food products, as well as knowledge of quality regulations surrounding sales of products in the United States/Canada
- Must have strategic auditing capabilities and extensive food regulatory and compliance knowledge Involving GFSI standards
- Experience with ERP software is a plus
- Detailed knowledge and track record of successful implementation of food manufacturing policies and procedures (GMP)
- Excellent knowledge of HARPC and the proven ability to write HARPC plans
- Ability to multi task and manage multiple projects concurrently
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Basic statistical tools knowledge and application ability
- Capability of measuring, monitoring, communicating results, taking corrective actions
- Proven expertise in the use of database software (Access, SQL, File Maker…)
- Flexibility to move from Windows to Mac environment and vice versa
- Problem solving
- Decision making capacity
- Continuous improvement (“Think outside of the box”)
- Physically capable of moving to all areas of the plant
- Bachelor Degree in Food Science or Food Technology or field related to Food Safety Management (Master’s Degree preferred)
- 5 years of experience in similar functions in food manufacturing (pellet specific a plus)
- 3-5 years team management experience
- Willingness to learn Italian preferred
- PCQI certification is required.
- Certification as an Internal Auditor in any GFSI Certifications
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.