JOB FILLED - Quality Assurance Technologist
COMPANY OVERVIEW: Lawler Foods is a leading manufacturer of gourmet cheesecakes, cakes and pies that are used in restaurants, hotels and other fine foodservice establishments around the world. Lawler Foods’ business has been built on the solid foundation of “home-made” taste and quality, using the finest natural ingredients to bake creamy cheesecakes, moist layer cakes, and grandmother-quality pies. The company operates out of Humble, Texas. Customers include national restaurant chains, wholesale clubs, and retail outlets in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Europe.
QUALITY ASSURANCE TECHNOLOGIST:
Perform Quality Assurance functions in the laboratory and in the manufacturing facilities to include analytical tests, evaluations, and quality audits. Monitor and carry out components of the food safety & quality management system from incoming materials to finished products for compliance to specifications &/or policy and to ensure product quality, safety, & legality. Provide technical support with an emphasis on customer expectations, continuous improvement opportunities, and productivity requirements.
- Perform routine audits throughout the facilities to ensure compliance to food safety & quality programs and policy, GMPs, and sanitation standards. Take action on noncompliant issues &/or notify the appropriate supervisor or manager.
- Perform sampling and microbiological testing of equipment, facilities, utensils, air, water, etc. to audit sanitation practices and monitor environmental conditions as related to relevant microorganisms.
- Prepare reports and provide assistance / recommended corrective actions for deficiencies resulting from sanitation audits and environmental monitoring.
- Collect finished product and raw material samples for evaluation and testing in the QA lab.
- Perform microbiological tests, analytical tests, and product evaluations on raw materials and finished products for compliance to specifications and policy.
- Perform sensory evaluation of raw materials and finished product.
- Prepare shipments of samples for microbiological & analytical tests to be performed at an outside laboratory and coordinate shipments with sample shipping clerk to ensure that samples are delivered on time and in good condition.
- Collect production check sheets, reports and documentation – review for accuracy / completion. Prepare & distribute report on deficiencies and maintain files according to the company record retention program.
- Communicate with other departments within the company on out-of-specification products & materials, foreign material issues, and other matters of noncompliance.
- Provide technical assistance and troubleshooting as needed to support the food safety and quality of our products.
- Keep informed on current developments & technology, regulatory issues, customer requirements, and other significant issues related to our business and inform QA management as needed.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities, meetings, committees, seminars, and training events as required.
- Maintain laboratory facilities and equipment in accordance with good laboratory practices.
- Manage the inventory of laboratory supplies to meet operational requirements.
- Oversee daily and periodic instrument calibration on laboratory equipment and maintain the QA instrument calibration log as required.
- Coordinate shelf life testing according to schedule – facilitate sensory and microbial testing, compile results, maintain documentation according to departmental policy.
- Maintain retention samples for finished products per customer requirements.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in food science or related science / technical field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years overall food industry experience in positions of increasing responsibility in Food Safety, Quality Assurance, &/or Technical Services.
- Certificate of training and actual experience in HACCP.
- Knowledge of &/or experience with the GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative) including BRC or SQF.
- Experience in and knowledge of issues related to food safety & quality and the food industry.
- Very good analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and write food safety & quality programs and procedures.
- Ability to review & interpret data and prepare reports, presentations, & recommendations as needed to upper management.
- Good communication & interpersonal skills.
Solid computer skills – Microsoft Office, manufacturing / quality databases.
Lawler Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to abide by all federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination; therefore, Lawler Foods does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, military status, pregnancy, or disability or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state and local antidiscrimincation laws. Click Here to view our Notice to All Employees document.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.