Food and Safety Quality Assurance Manager
Position: Food Safety and Quality Assurance Manager
Department/Location: Orlando Tradeport Facility, Corporate Headquarters
Reports To: Head of Production
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Headquartered in Orlando, FL, Kalera is a science and technology-driven company dedicated to growing the very best possible produce; it is smart horticulture at its best. As the technology leaders in urban vertical farming, Kalera focuses on clean, safe, healthy, tasty greens and on the efficiencies of growing locally in controlled environments.
Founded in 2010, Kalera has, over several years, perfected unique hydroponic growing methods combining optimized nutrients and light recipes, precise environmental controls, and clean room standards to produce safe, highly nutritious, pesticide-free, non-GMO vegetables with consistent high quality and longer shelf life year-round. With indoor facilities situated right where the demand is, Kalera is able to supply an abundance of produce locally, eliminating the need for long distance shipping. This means Kalera can ensure the highest quality and freshness by delivering product to customers within hours of harvest year-round. Kalera's plants grow while consuming 95% less water compared to field farming.
Kalera has recently opened a new state-of-the-art growing facility in Orlando, FL. With an annual output of over five million heads of lettuce per year, this new facility is the highest production volume vertical farm in the Southeast US. The rapidly constructed facility also demonstrates Kalera’s ability to quickly build and open farms around the US and internationally. Having recently announced new facilities in Atlanta and Houston to open in early 2021, Kalera has aggressive near-term expansion plans both domestically and internationally.
For more information please visit www.kalera.com, along with supplemental media coverage:
- Kalera film
- Global Newswire article - Kalera opens new vertical farming facility in Orlando
- Forbes article - farm of the future
- Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue Visits Kalera
- Orlando Sentinel Article
Consider applying here, if you want to:
- Work in an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment with a chance to make an impact.
- Develop lasting relationships with great people.
- Have the opportunity to build a satisfying career.
The Quality Assurance Manager reports to the Production Manager.
- Continue to develop a strong company food safety culture
- Ensure compliance to all Food Safety and Quality Certifications that Kalera, Inc. currently has, or may decide to pursue, and implement across all facilities.
- Continue to develop and oversee the company’s Food Safety and Quality Assurance Program as well as lead the Support Center’s Quality Assurance Team.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of all products grown by Kalera as well as the raw materials, packaging materials, and operations required in the production of these products including quality specifications and GMP / SQF standards.
- Continue to build and develop Kalera’s environmental monitoring program.
- Work closely with each facilities’ QA Supervisor and Plant Manager to ensure proper 3rd party and customer audit preparation, scheduling, training, and ongoing compliance.
- Ensures company adherence to required food safety laws and regulations.
- Assist with the design of future farms to ensure construction and building design is compliant with all food safety regulations.
- Develop and implement new Food Safety and Quality SOPs and records.
- Remotely monitor facility GMP, SQF and QA facility compliance through the development, monitoring, and management of tasks and records using Kalera’s task management software system.
- Continue to develop and implement a robust Food Safety and QA training program and relevant educational materials
- Ensure all required food safety and QA related documents and records are properly stored, organized, and kept current.
- Continue to build a high performing quality assurance team for Kalera’s support facility and production facilities.
- Act as the subject matter expert for QA and food safety related questions and provide support to all facilities
- Manage SDS sheets as required for audits
- Conduct facility audits to ensure compliance with company and regulatory food safety and quality standards. This will require regular travel to all of Kalera’s farms.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors Degree in food science, plant science, quality assurance or related field
- Minimum 5 years of Food Safety or Quality Assurance Experience in a leadership role
- HACCP Certified
- Previous experience building and implementing a HACCP plan
- Previous GAP, SQF, GMP or similar audit experience.
- Effective communication skills
- Able to work with and effectively communicate with employees across all levels of the organization.
- Experience working in a greenhouse, farm, or other form of plant production or food processing facility preferred.
- Preventative Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) preferred
- Ability to lead team in multi-tasking, prioritization, and meeting timelines on deliverables
- Ability to mentor, coach and provide direction to a team of employees
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Kalera, Inc. all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.