Director of Food Safety & Quality
We are committed to providing only the highest-quality products. As a member of our quality team, you’ll ensure Johnsonville meets or exceeds all standards set by the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other regulatory agencies. Of course, that’s just for starters. What outside organization could care more about our quality than we do? Our commitment to quality must be unparalleled. We treat every Johnsonville product like it will be served at our own family table.
Director of Food Safety & Quality
Johnsonville has an excellent opportunity to join us as Director of Food Safety & Quality (FSQ) reporting to the Senior Director of Research & Development/FSQ. Your primary responsibility is to lead, coach and develop our team of FSQ Professionals charged with creating, implementing and maintaining world class Food Safety and Quality Programs for sow harvest, fresh and ready-to-eat (RTE) sausages. This also includes incoming purchased meat and non-meat ingredients used in sausage manufacturing. The end state is to deliver perfect products to our customers and consumers. You must be an experienced coach and influential leader with ability to connect to a wide variety of people both internally and externally.
- Work with Operations, Sourcing and Business Unit Leaders to develop and implement long-term strategic initiatives that enable the business to meet its Perfect Product, growth and profitability goals
- Provide leadership for FSQ programs, teams and members in support of making superlative products
- Establish a strong team culture that includes appropriate recognition and reward for superlative performance
- Develop learning opportunities for others on the team and within the organization
- Ensure execution of strategic and tactical objectives related to food safety, quality, regulatory and internal compliance, auditing, consumer complaints, product recall and microbiological testing
- Establish, implement and ensure compliance with food safety and quality procedures and product specifications at all company owned facilities and co-packer facilities
- Lead, coach and mentor FSQ members responsible for working on fresh, ready-to-eat and new technology products as well as for their personal development and readiness
- Create, communicate and manage the annual strategic plan and operating budget for FSQ.
- Ensure visibility to FSQ Strategic Initiatives, projects and challenges across the organization.
- Ensure effective linkage and alignment to multiple cross functional leaders and their teams in Supply Chain, Sourcing, Operations, R&D and Executive Leadership.
- Interact effectively at all levels of the organization in order to influence key stakeholders
- Lead risk management activities throughout the product life cycle, including new product development and post- production management
- Ensure FSQ resources are available to work on integrated cross-functional teams responsible for delivering product improvements and new products to all Business Units and Operations.
- Serve as Member of Extended Strategy Team
- Minimum of BS degree in Meat Science, Food Science, Microbiology or related technical degree
- Master’s Degree, PhD preferred or additional years of experience
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience required that demonstrate progressive levels of leadership of a FSQ Team. Additional years’ experience required if no advanced degree.
- Active in outside industry associations, preferably in leadership positions with established network of relationships
- At least 5 years of coaching experience including the ability in developing yourself and those around you to higher levels of responsibility
- Ability to operate at the strategic level and to dive into the details with equal effectiveness
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to innovate new technologies into manageable and practical applications
- Willingness and ability to travel periodically approximately 30% of the time
Posting Date: October 24, 2019
Coach for this position: Senior Director of R&D/FSQ
(We don’t have bosses at Johnsonville. We have Coaches. They are there to help you develop your talents.)
Location: Technical Center, Sheboygan Falls, WI
(Our office is about an hour north of Milwaukee)
Member Status: Fulltime, Salaried
(At Johnsonville, you are not an employee. You are a Member and, yes, Membership has its privileges – like the ability to buy sausage at great discounts. Our more traditional benefits are great, too.)
External candidates: Apply on-line only at: http://jobs.johnsonville.com
We value the diversity of our workforce and we embrace the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment. M/F/Vet/Disability
Johnsonville values the service Veterans and their family members have given to our country. We support the hiring of returning service members and military spouses.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.