Senior Food Scientist
Jack Link’s Protein Snacks began with treasured family recipes passed from generation to generation, transforming a small North Woods business into one of the fastest-growing meat snack manufacturers in the world. Over the years, as consumer demand for convenient, high-quality snack foods increased, so has the company’s product offerings. Today Jack Link’s is the fastest-growing meat snack manufacturer in the world, and sells more than 100 different meat snack products in more than 40 countries. The Link family principles and traditions remain the same: hard work, integrity and a commitment to earn consumer respect by delivering the best-tasting meat snacks in the world.
From concept to commercialization, Senior Food Scientists are leaders and drivers of new product development at Jack Link’s. A highly collaborative role, this individual will work closely with operations, food safety & quality (FSQ), business management, marketing, sales, consumer insights, and procurement, serving as a technical expert to identify areas of business opportunity, to execute plant trials, and to effectively launch new protein snacks and help the company achieve its aggressive growth objectives.
- Driving innovation from internal and external sources to help fulfill the company’s strategic plan.
- Develop project timelines. Manage individual projects as assigned and technical programs as assigned.
- Participate in the innovation process for new idea generation. Bring new ideas and creative solutions and interact with Sales and Marketing partners to understand the business and our customers
- Explore alternative approaches to deliver higher margin new product opportunities to market more quickly.
- Develop new products and formulations to meet Jack Link’s business objectives: bench-top prototypes and manufacturing processes, identify ingredients, document product specifications, scale-up products into manufacturing setting, and coordinate product analysis (sensory, nutritional, challenge studies, consumer insights etc.) as needed.
- Identify ingredients, technology, platforms and processes that meet current needs and will enable future development in line with consumer trends as prioritized by the business.
- Design and execute appropriate testing methodologies to validate changes to raw materials, formulations, and process. Coordinate testing plans with food safety, regulatory, quality and operations. Generate written reports, interpret results, and make next step recommendations.
- Document and maintain product and processing specifications
- Provide technical support in determining root cause and finding solutions for problems in food products such as sensory, quality, or consistency issues. Participate on cross-functional teams to identify areas of opportunity in cost reduction, yield improvement, and formulation/process improvement and efficiencies.
- Provide feedback and technical assistance as a NPD subject Matter Expert.
- Champion quality awareness.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor of Science in Food Technology, Food Science or related field
- 5+ years of experience in new product development/commercialization
- Meat science degree and 2+ years in the meat industry
- Understanding of USDA regulations
- Smokehouse experience including natural and atomized smoke applications
- Experience in the shelf stable meat snack industry, dry and/or fermented sausage processing
- Demonstrated success in new product development
- Proficient in data analysis and experimental design
- Understanding of food processing, food safety, and food regulations and consumer insights
- Must be able to communicate effectively with various manufacturing and other functional groups
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must work effectively with all levels of management and employees
- Comfortable in a fast paced, changing environment
- Must be flexible and able to work well in both individual and team environments
- Must demonstrate effective leadership, problem solving, presentation, and employee motivational skills.
- Proficient in Internet navigation, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.