Vice President Quality and Food Safety
Hostess Brands LLC is one of the largest packaged food companies focused on developing, manufacturing, marketing, selling and distributing fresh baked sweet goods in the United States. The brand’s history dates back to 1919, when the Hostess CupCake was introduced to the public, followed by Twinkies® in 1930. Today, Hostess produces a variety of new and classic treats including Ding Dongs®, Ho Hos®, Donettes® and Fruit Pies, in addition to Twinkies® and CupCakes. Hostess Brands also represents the Dolly Madison, Voortman, Big Texas, and Clover Hill brands.
The Vice President Quality and Food Safety is responsible for the development, execution and management of Quality Management procedures, programs and policies. An integral accountability will also be Food Defense/ Food Security which he/she will lead. He/she will support overseeing company quality and food safety activities and the team to ensure that all company, consumer, customer and regulatory standards are met. This executive will be looked upon to take the Quality & Food Safety programs to the “next level” while also contributing to the overall strategic direction and business success of the organization. It will be expected that this individual works collaboratively with all functional leaders, including Supply Chain and Marketing. This leader will be expected to prioritize projects and resource teams while developing longer-term assurances managing our risk profile.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
In addition to following Hostess’s policies and procedures, principal duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall Quality and Food Safety – QFS leadership for all Hostess/ Voortman facilities and Co-manufacturers, including Corporate, Field Quality and Food Safety roles.
- Lead product quality evaluation and consumer complaint response, resolution, and tracking
- Deliver highly disciplined compliance with all regulatory and Company defined food safety and sanitation standards, systems to meet the hostess Quality commitment. Communicates effectively to insure implementation of QFS policies within Manufacturing and across Supply Chain.
- Lead conduct of food defense and food security at all facilities and vendors (including suppliers and co- manufacturing). Ensures audit results are communicated, findings are monitored, and any appropriate corrective actions are taken in a timely manner.
- Proactively organizes, manages, and issues related Key Performance indicators (KPIs) to effectively manage risk and drive improvement.
- Prepare the organization for heightened regulatory expectations by developing enhanced quality and food safety programs across the supply chain.
- Build, leverage and nurture positive relationships with local and regional regulatory officers of both the FDA and state Agricultural Agencies.
- Function as a competent technical expert regarding quality and food safety systems within the company, including regulatory and company policy, FSMA final rules, GFSI- BRC, Sanitation, and cGMP.
- Build strong technical knowledge of all baking product categories produced and understand impact of shelf-life to quality and food safety.
- Support ensuring daily execution of tactical processes and procedures in manufacturing to drive compliance to all defined specifications and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure food safety and quality expectations are built into key cross functional processes from concept through commercialization.
- Represent the QFS function to the business and serve as a conduit for information. Improve visibility to quality and food safety performance across the organization.
- Identify areas of opportunity or concern related to Food Safety and Quality and develop appropriate solutions to address those concerns.
- Leverage continuous improvement tools and industry best practices to improve quality and food safety processes.
- Initiate building SPC/SQC and related CI tools into meaningful and actionable information by leveraging metrics and defined activities to drive improvement.
- Conduct periodic risk assessments and develop and implement a work plan to address risk.
- Organize effective and efficient analytical and microbiological laboratory reporting to assure performance excellence and continuous improvement.
- Partner with HR on quality and food safety proficiency to assure the team delivers against awareness, education, training, and measurement.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 20 years management and implementation of Quality and Food Safety programs in a progressive environment.
- Ability and willingness to take-action. Ability to have tough conversation
- Strong project management and change management skills.
- Skilled in complex problem-solving methodologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership and planning skills.
- PC proficient in Windows operating environment.
- Ability to travel (approximately 50-60%).
- Excellent problem solving and trouble shooting skills
- A MS or PhD in a food related (Food Science, Food Chemistry, Food Analysis, Food Processing) or microbiological type area with 5+ years at a senior level of responsibility within a food related industry is required. If the candidate does not have an advanced degree, extensive (20 years) experience at a senior level within a food related industry would be considered.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, and encourage minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.