Food Safety Compliance Specialist
Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our team is a unique mix of creators, chefs, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers and we’re growing quickly. Our customer-first mentality, combined with a zest for supporting our peers, helped us bring home Built in Chicago’s Startup of the Year Moxie award in 2017. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to escalate in the US and around the world, we are committed to keeping our teams and their families as our greatest priority. To that end, we are making some adjustments to the way we will be doing business in the upcoming weeks.
We are taking all the necessary precautions to keep our employees and customers safe, and would love to have you on our team as we can continue to serve our communities.
The Food Safety Compliance Specialist is responsible for providing compliance support for the Corporate and Plant Food Safety and Quality teams. This role’s primary responsibilities include the support of labeling, food safety compliance, corporate and plant-level FSQA trainings, and ownership of food safety related customer inquiries and follow-ups.
Food Safety Compliance:
- Assist in creation and maintenance of Food Safety System programs, plans, standard operating procedures, forms and documentation, certification (Organic, non-GMO, Clean Label)
- Support the monitoring, verification, and validation of Preventive Control for Sites Food Safety Plan, including allergen, sanitation and process preventive controls
- Partner with Procurement, Culinary, FSQA, Production and Warehouse teams to drive process improvement for food safety compliance through CAPA support, Hold Management Review, Customer Complaint Investigation
- Assist with customer complaints investigations process ensuring timely follow up
- Conduct analysis on customer complaint trends and recommend actions for improvements
FSQA Training Compliance:
- Partner with Training to maintain FSQA site training program, including training matrix for FSQA roles and qualified individual training to other functions
- Assist with the development and delivery of training material
- Build and maintain training records for all FSQA related trainings
- Participate as subject matter expert in implementation of new training solution
- Conduct research and manage relationships with any external trainers
- Assist Labeling Specialist with Food Safety Approval of Short / Replacements requests through interpretation and evaluation ingredient specification, meals and labels to ensure compliance with relevant food regulations, as defined
- Support the review and/or development of ingredient statements, allergen statements, meal cards, and nutrition facts panels
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or other characteristics needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- 2+ years of experience in quality assurance, food safety, food distribution, food manufacturing, supply chain, or related field
- Completion of a four-year degree program in a related field: In Food Science/Nutrition, Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, or related field
- HACCP certification and experience maintaining HACCP program strongly preferred
- SQF Practitioner certification preferred
- Previous experience with GFSI, SQF and USDA audits
- Understanding of Food Safety regulations, laws, and best practices including those from FDA, USDA, and other state and local entities
- Knowledge of food microbiology, food safety, and food defense
- Knowledge of food safety and quality programs.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter who is results-oriented, resourceful, and takes initiative
- Capable of handling multiple responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to embrace change and learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
- This position requires 10% travel
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability
- 401k Employer match - 50% on the $1, up to 6% of the employee's earnings
- We offer flexible spending accounts (FSA) for qualified Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, or Transit expenses
- Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
- Generous Parental Leave
- Great Work/Life Balance – We value and support each individual team member
- Quarterly company-wide “Town Hall” meetings
- Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
- Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop, plus an extra screen
- Onsite gym
- Weekly Fooda credit
- Newly renovated office in the historic Old Main Post Office which is located close to multiple Metra and CTA options
- Employee discounts through Perkspot
- Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
- Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.