Food Safety Specialist
This role has the primary responsibility of developing, managing, and maintaining all food safety and regulatory compliance programs at our Chillicothe, OH Production Facility. Provides leadership for the organization in directing food safety initiatives to all internal management, manufacturing, quality, warehouse, distribution and sales personnel. Serves as the principle contact for outside regulatory and government entities. Responsible for ensuring the organization meets all FDA, USDA, and SQF requirements. This position reports to the Director of QA and the Chillicothe Production Manager.
Regulatory and Compliance Oversight:
- Manages, develops, maintains and ensures all FDA, SQF and HACCP policies, procedures, training manuals, logs , documentation, product specifications sheets and records are up to date and meet all regulatory and compliance requirements/standards.
- Evaluates and assists in developing processes, specifications and critical control points to assure the food safety of all manufactured finished product.
- Serves as liaison for plant operations on food safety policies/issues as they relate to both internal/external customers and third party vendors (including external auditors and government regulators). Communicates food safety standards with all parties.
- Coordinates external audits for SQF, large Retail Customers, Department of Agriculture, and FDA.
- Maintains accurate and comprehensive records and documentation to assure compliance with FDA’s Code of Federal Regulations, as well as the current SQF code.
- Strategically manage, lead and coordinate continuous improvement efforts and programs related to food safety and quality processes and systems.
- Proposes and coordinates comprehensive and proactive solutions to ongoing food safety issues.
Reporting, Auditing and Analysis
- Evaluates food safety concerns of facility and program; develops and implements programs to eliminate hazards.
- Performs routine internal audits evaluating compliance and areas for improvement. Documents variances and works with operations team to correct any concerns.
- Proactively identifies trends and process variations; executes corrective actions to optimize food safety and quality.
- Develops and updates tools and processes needed to maintain accurate documentation of all food safety activity.
- Serves as internal investigator in the event of a recall, the principle contact for FDA coordinators, and the coordinator for sales and retail customers on 100% retrieval of recalled product.
Training and Development:
- Effectively collaborates with all levels of staffing to develop and maintain a robust and effective food and quality system/program.
- Facilitate SQF and HACCP training for all employees; both new hires and regularly as needed for existing employees.
- Facilitates cross-functional team meetings in order to exchange information about program effectiveness and improvements necessary.
- Maintains knowledge of current and constantly changing regulations related to food production, packaging, labeling and transportation through regular attendance at workshops, seminars and self-study.
In addition to the essential functions listed above, the employee is expected to exercise honesty, integrity and respect with all clients and co-workers, preserve confidentially of all business information and data, maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, demonstrate a positive attitude, communicate effectively with co-workers and clients, work with accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail, respect the work environment and keep it as environmentally friendly as possible, and exercise initiative to learn new skills and tasks and to help co-workers when possible. Reliable attendance and punctuality are also required. The employee is also expected to perform other related duties, special projects and functions as required from time to time.
- Bachelor of Arts/Science degree in Food Science or Science related field preferred, but not required.
- 2-10 years compliance experience in the food industry preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with attention to detail, time management and excellent organization skills.
- Demonstrated experience to work independently or as a team.
- Recognized as one who is proactive in problem-solving and works towards creative solutions.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to internal/external customers.
- Requires strong problem-solving ability and strong analytic skills.
- Working knowledge of product commercialization and food & manufacturing processes highly preferred.
- Previous experience working in Safe Quality Food (SQF) and HAACP environments preferred.
- Proficiency with data management required.
- Microsoft Office Suite intermediate experience required; advanced skills preferred.
Physical requirements and work environment:
- Performs work required for this position in an office and manufacturing environment.
- Remains sedentary for moderate periods of time.
- Required to use a computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds on occasion.
Reasonable accommodations for disability
Any employee, who believes that a reasonable accommodation is required for purposes of federal or state disability law is required to contact Human Resources to begin the interactive exchange process.
Herr Foods Inc. is as drug free workplace and an equal opportunity employer M/F/Veterans/Disabilities
Nottingham, Pennsylvania, United States
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.