The Quality Engineer is responsible for ensuring products produced in the Aseptic department meet the standards set by Heartland Food Products Group and regulatory authorities. The role ensures the highest level of commitment to Safe Quality Food in order to provide assurance that all products have been produced, prepared and handled according to the standards of Heartland Food Products Group, SQF and Regulatory Authorities. This position actively participates in training and continuous improvement projects.
- Provide leadership in maintaining effective communication between the Quality and Production departments through collaboration with the Operations Manager.
- Assure regulatory compliance, adherence to GMPs and an effective food safety program.
- Implement necessary internal quality assurance systems and infrastructure that provide a systematic review process and resources to assure all products meet regulatory and conformance requirements prior to market release.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and changes affecting food safety and make recommendations for appropriate program changes to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Compile and review data for trends and deviations followed by reporting execution of corrective and preventative measures (CAPA).
- Identify root cause in quality, production and other areas as needed to reduce or eliminate deviations
- Collaborate with others in the company to improve the quality of the products while implementing methods for reducing the cost
- Provide support for all internal and external audit activities.
- Develop, revise and initiate standards and methods for inspection, sampling, testing and evaluation as part of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Develop, organize and manage applications of a comprehensive quality and food safety programs
- Provide guidance and feedback to production and quality teams on quality policies and programs such as HACCP and other food safety programs.
- Update and develop SOPs to support the company’s quality systems.
- Analyze QC results/projects and communicate information to relevant departments.
- Create training documents and train others to ensure compliance and the production of Safe Quality Food.
- Active member of the factory HACCP and Food Safety teams.
- BS in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Science, or related field is preferred
- 5+ years of food processing experience required; at least 2 years in a manufacturing environment under FDA and HACCP managing food processing sanitation program preferred
- Comprehensive experience with SQF Code, FDA Rules and Regulations
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Analytical skills and demonstrated problem solving/corrective action/resolution skills
- Must be able to work independently and have strong demonstrated leadership, interpersonal and self-initiative skills
- Ability to develop and implement strategic objectives
- Self-motivation and ability to work with people at all levels of the organization
- Must work successfully with cross functional departments within and outside the organization and build effective relationships
- Excellent organizational and project management skills a must
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Work 40+ hours per week, must be flexible to work off shifts and weekends if required
- Stand or walk for long periods of time
- Use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls
- Bend and lift objects of up to 50 pounds
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.