Hampton Farms is the leading In-Shell Peanut Company in the US. We also are a leading producer of other types of nuts for the retail and commercial markets and peanut butter. You can find our product in most grocery stores and major league baseball stadiums. We distribute under the Hampton Farms brand and also are a leading private label manufacturer. This position is based at our Franklin, Virginia production facility.
This position is responsible for managing the day to day Food Safety and Quality programs as well as ensuring compliance with applicable regulatory and third-party requirements in a peanut butter processing plant in Franklin, VA.
Essential Job Duties
- Supports Quality personnel and other functional groups as needed. Verifies performance of quality personnel.
- Assures Quality conformance to specifications and expectations for all products and processes. Follows up with supervision/management on all exceptions and corrective actions. Communicates quality programs and specifications to plant teams.
- Disposition of held goods (raw, finished, and in process) including communication and execution of sampling plans.
Coordinates & executes Safe Quality Foods (SQF) programs.
- Develops/trains quality team members and other plant personnel in quality awareness, food safety, and other related areas.
- Coordinates auditing and monitoring of SQF program effectiveness and conformance.
- Performs plant and food safety, GMP, and quality audits according to program, including with visitors from our customers, third parties, the Food and Drug Administration, and State and Local regulators.
- Monitors collected quality data and tracks/trends as needed, with communication to relevant business units.
- Works with customers and Sales/Marketing on quality initiatives for products and processes as directed.
- Monitors, investigates, and responds to consumer complaints.
- Operates as the plant Food Safety Plan Manager (PCQI).
- Reviews raw material quality information and samples for conformance to standards.
- May perform other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
Ability to communicate effectively and work well with others individually and in team setting. Strong leadership skills are essential. Excellent verbal and written skills. Good problem solving, analytical, & trouble shooting skills required. Ability to work in Microsoft Office efficiently (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Must have or must be capable of acquiring PCQI and SQF Practitioner certification within 6 months of hire.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Continuous Learning – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
Use of Technology – Demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity; keeps technical skills up to date.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Communications – Strong written and verbal skills. Applies good questioning and listening skills to ensure understanding of information being shared.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Exceptional Interpersonal skills
Treats everyone with respect and dignity
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree, minimum 3 years’ experience in food science or a related field, 3 – 5 years’ experience preferred, depending on quality of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Currently one Assistant QA Manager and 7 Quality Technicians
- Direct reporting to the Plant Manager with a dotted line to Director of Food Safety and Quality
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb to extended heights (inspection) or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee must be able to perform sensory, including taste, on items produced in the plant, which could include multiple allergens.
Typical plant setting for a food manufacturing plant. Periods of cold in winter, heat and humidity in summer. Dust and smoke/steam are common.
Minimal travel required. Must be willing to occasionally travel to corporate headquarters in Severn, NC or other plants for training, continuous improvement, or other initiatives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401K Matching
- Paid Vacation and Personal Days
- Paid Holidays
- Bereavement Leave
- Military Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer
For Additional Information Visit: www.hamptonfarms.com
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.