Food Safety and Quality Assurance Manager
G.S. Gelato & Desserts, Inc. is the leading manufacturer of authentic Italian gelato, sorbet, and plant-based frozen desserts with nationwide distribution. We are looking for a Food Safety and Quality Manager to join our team in our 40,000 square-feet manufacturing facility in Fort Walton Beach, FL.
The qualified individual will be responsible for ensuring robust Food Safety & Quality systems and programs are in place, meeting or exceeding internal standards, customer’s expectations, and regulatory compliance requirements. This person is responsible for executing continuous improvement strategies to strengthen food safety and compliance, efficiency, integration, and value for the business. They lead the division through a variety of different food quality, safety, and regulatory situations, using critical thinking, collaboration, and ensuring customer safety and regulatory compliance are of the highest priority.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Manages the company’s SQF Food Safety and Food Quality Programs in all its aspects based on SQFI requirements and FISMA compliance.
- Enforcing processes for Food Safety and Quality, ensuring regulatory compliance and continuous improvement.
- Interpret, understand, and communicate information and requirements of regarding labeling, as well as governmental regulations (FDA/USDA/Dept. of Agriculture) to senior management, associates, suppliers, and customers, as necessary.
- Manage internal, external, and third-party safety and quality audits,
- Enforce compliance with GMP, SQF, and HACCP policies and practices throughout the facility.
- Maintain 3rd party certifications (OU Kosher, Vegan, etc.).
- Performs activities required of site preventive controls qualified individual (PCQI).
- Write and review/update technical documentation (SOPs, programs, modules etc.), accurately and in a timely manner, implementing updates within the company.
- Conduct food safety and quality trainings, re-trainings, orientation, and coaching of production and warehouse personnel with topics pertaining to Food Safety and Quality programs.
- Monitor sanitation efforts to identify trends and process issues, consult on corrective actions when needed.
- Use risk-based and statistical tools to improve product consistency and eliminate cross-contamination
- Effectively communicate any changes, modifications, or updates to managers, supervisors, and others.
- Provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality attributes.
- Make suggestions and recommendations on how to improve safety, food safety, quality, service, efficiency, and cost savings within the department and actively participate in their implementations.
- Regulatory Compliance experience in the matter of ingredients labeling and experience with FDA CFR Code.
- 2-3 years of Quality Assurance/Quality Control experience in a food manufacturing environment
- Must be detail-oriented and display good project management and organizational skills. Knowledge of governmental regulations (FDA/USDA/Dept. of Agriculture) as applied to quality assurance/food safety.
- Experience writing and revising technical documentation (SOPs, compliance programs, modules, etc.).
- HACCP, SQF, PCQI certification required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with customers, suppliers, associates, and senior management.
- Must be computer literate with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must have a mindset that embraces change and evolution, growth, and challenge.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.