General Manager of Potato and Onion Operations
Headquartered in Bakersfield, California, Grimmway Farms traces its roots to a Southern California produce stand opened by the Grimm brothers in the early 1960s. Grimmway is a global produce leader and the world’s largest producer of carrots. Grimmway also supplies more than 65 organic USA-grown crops, and brands include Cal-Organic Farms and Bunny-Luv. Grimmway is committed to caring for customers and employees, honoring sustainable practices and preserving natural resources for future generations.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are seeking a General Manager of Potato and Onion Operations responsible for the overall management of all potato and onion field and plant operations in accordance with industry quality standards, regulatory compliance, customer needs, and the company’s strategic goals and objectives. This position reports to the Chief Operations Officer and is located in Bakersfield, CA.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum ten years related experience with a national, industry leading grower, packer and shipper of conventional and organic potatoes and onions.
- Advanced degree in Business, Agricultural Business, or related field preferred.
- Skilled in personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Experience in financial planning and analysis of farming, harvesting, and packaging/processing of potatoes & onions.
- Must be metrics driven with a strong understanding of farming costs and yields, as well as potato and onion packing facilities financials.
- Previous farm management experience preferred, including managing potato & onion crops in multiple growing areas.
- Must possess a general understanding of agricultural labor resources.
- Knowledgeable of crop inputs including groundwork, compost, planting, cultivation, applications, etc., desired.
- Experience in managing potato & onion packing facilities.
- Prior experience effectively managing multiple teams in multiple locations.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the corporate mission.
- Some travel, weekend and holiday work will be required.
- Depending on season and farming/storage locations, out of area travel could be as much as 2-3 days a week.
- Remote work not available for this position.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean DMV driving record.
- Must pass pre-placement drug/alcohol screen and background investigation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide experienced leadership and management; ensuring that the potato & onion operations of the company have the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting resources, and systems in place to effectively grow the organization and ensure financial strength, while achieving the strategic goals and objectives of the company.
- Manage day-to-day growing activities by in-house personnel and outside contractors.
- Ensure the highest quality of all products grown with the most competitive costing possible.
- Strive for the highest yields at lowest costs to ensure Grimmway’s position as a quality yet competitive supplier.
- Oversee management of potato & onion packing facilities, effectively leading multiple teams in multiple locations.
- Provide leadership and support to Potato & Onion Crop Category Manager, Potato Plant Manager & Onion Plant Manager in their assigned responsibilities.
- Ensure that growing costs, yields, safety, regulatory compliance, and labor management on company-owned and leased ranches & facilities meet company goals and objectives.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position throughout much of the working day. Ability to occasionally move about inside the office, in food processing facilities, and in the farming fields. Ability to operate a computer and other office productivity equipment. Ability to work outdoors. Ability to visually inspect equipment and product. Must be able to work in different temperatures (working temperatures as hot as 100° to 110° F and as cold as -20° F to 32° F); must be able to work in a high noise area.
- Competitive benefits package including Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 401k plan with a discretionary match, subject to a vesting schedule
- Paid Sick, Vacation, Holiday Time and Personal Hours
- Employee Vehicle Purchase/Lease Programs
- Subsidized gym membership with InShape health clubs
- Free on-site personal training and other wellness-focused activities at company gym
- Tuition discount partnership program with University of La Verne
- Discounted tickets to major theme parks throughout California
- Work life balance
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.