Food Safety and Quality Assurance Manager
The Quality Manager will maintain and continuously improve upon the QA function to ensure compliance with industry regulations and certifications, facilitating the implementation of QA best practices within the organization. In addition, the QA Manager will plan and coordinate all QA activities and personnel, accommodating requests for quality support and communicating the policies and procedures in support of the organization.
- Direct the QA department to ensure the quality of raw material and packaged products at the plant level.
- Develop, implement, review and maintain Food Safety Fundamentals in conjunction with QA Manager of Packaging & Make Plants.
- Communicate to relevant personnel all information essential to effective implementation and maintenance of quality audit processes such as the SQF System including the need to report any food safety issues to personnel with authority to react.
- Training of all organization personnel to ensure competency to carry out functions affecting product legality and safety.
- • Oversee and direct testing procedures to assure product integrity. • Communicate with suppliers to resolve and avoid problems.
- • Inspect employees for good hygiene and adherence to GMP’s. • Coordinate inspection of machinery for cleanliness.
- Supervise & direct lab technicians.
- Evaluate employee performance.
- Administer discipline when needed.
- Assist with selection, hiring, advancement, transfer, promotion and termination decisions for the department.
- Motivate and lead by example.
- Observe and evaluate processes to make appropriate decisions on issues relating to quality program adherence and improvement.
- Assist with information or research to help resolve product problems.
- Communicate with salespeople regarding product quality issues.
- Facilitate & manage sample pulls and retention.
- Coordinate and respond to customer issues related to product quality
- All GLC employees are expected to perform any assignment or job task according to the stated safety policies and procedures.
- All GLC employees are expected to produce our products in a manner that exceeds the quality and value expectation of our customers and consumers by adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices, Policies and Procedures outlined in our Safe Quality Food Program.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the manager.
- Maintain company confidentiality
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Quality or related field or commensurate experience.
- 5 years of Quality management experience or more.
- 4 years of lab experience or more.
- In depth understanding of chemical and physical processes relating to cheese and packaging quality.
- Ability to make sound, independent decisions based on functional expertise and experience.
- Ability to administer a proactive management approach.
- Ability to provide leadership, support, communication and direction to lab technicians, as well as other personnel.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, troubleshoot and problem solve beyond the routine issues.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or Related Science Degree.
- SAP experience.
- SQF certified.
- Work is performed in a lab setting.
- Ability to constantly stand/walk; bend/flex/extend neck; frequently grip/reach/lift/pull with L/R hands.
- Ability to frequently handle material from floor-to-waist, waist-to-shoulder and pushing/pulling/carrying.
- Hair nets, ear plugs/muffs, hardhats, and/or safety glasses may be required.
- Repetitive work in a fast-paced production environment with average temperature of 50-60 degrees F.
- Occasional exposure to industrial operations including: temperature extremes from approximately 35ºF to 100ºF; noise levels in excess of 85 dB; moisture and moving machinery.
EEOC & Disclaimer
Great Lakes Cheese is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer
Nearest Major Market: Jamestown
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.