Microbiologist / Food Safety Specialist
Oversee the operation of the Analytical Services Microbiology and Process Water testing labs. Ensure the lab adheres to the ISO 17025 standards. Supervise and provide training for the lab analysts. Review and trend test results and communicate to appropriate personnel any issues. Ensure methods and other procedures are current. Oversee the Environmental Monitoring Program for the facility and help production determine root causes of issues. Provide guidance to the production facility on sanitation and other food safety topics. Part of the HARPC/food safety team.
Supervise Microbiology Lab Analysts
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee testing in the microbiology and process water labs
- Supervise lab analysts, ensure adherence to SOPs, GLPs, ISO, aseptic technique, etc
- Organize frequency of testing, manage the workload distribution
- Provide corrective action in a timely manner for erratic or inaccurate results
- Train technicians/analysts on standard procedures and other lab or product related topics to ensure that methods are current, efficient, and accurate
- Maintain equipment along with maintenance and calibration schedules. Troubleshoot and arrange for repair of equipment when necessary. Maintain equipment records
- Review and recommend new or updated equipment/rapid methods. Complete validation documents and work for new instruments and methods.
- Assist with daily tasks such as media Q.C., identification of organisms and any trouble shooting
- Maintain the environmental monitoring program. Monitor plant bio-burden to determine sources of contamination to eliminate risks to finished product
- Strong communication with managers, chemists, technicians, analysts, QA, and production
- HARPC team member for all areas. Knowledge of food processing and equipment.
- Provide site-wide training sessions on food safety
- Ensure standard analytical methods and work instructions are reviewed/revised as required
- Review the daily micro and analyst logs and provide feedback as needed
- Report product quality issues to appropriate personnel. Provide technical advice to QA and production regarding micro issues
- Trend/track product micro results and alert personnel of potential issues
- Trend/track results from environmental monitoring and make recommendations for corrective or preventive action
- Problem Solving
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Action Oriented
- Independent Judgement
- Timely Decision Making
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology or related field
- Knowledge of GMPs, food safety, ISO 17025 standards
- Proven written and verbal communication skills, organization and time management, math and computer skills
- Positive attitude and ability to lead through influence and motivate others
- Ability to prioritize and work independently
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong problem solving skills
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a microbiology laboratory environment required
- Experience with micro methods, media and PCR required
- Prior supervisory experience desired
0 - 10%
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.