Food Safety & Quality Specialist
Farmers Union Industries, LLC, also known as FUI, is a leading agricultural based manufacturing company based in Redwood Falls, MN. FUI is a premier provider of specialized products, providing superior value and services to our members and customers. Our current operations include Central Bi-Products, Northland Choice, Midwest Grease, Artex Manufacturing, Pet Care Systems, Redwood Farms Meat Processors, and Performance Pet Products. FUI currently manufactures in 8 facilities in a three state area, including: Redwood Falls, Long Prairie, Waite Park and Detroit Lakes, Minnesota; Mitchell, South Dakota and Estherville, Iowa. For more information, visit fuillc.com.
Job Title: Food Safety & Quality Specialist
Location: Redwood Falls, MN
Reports To: Director of CBI Sales & Quality
Areas of Accountability
All areas of accountability to be delivered in a manner that aligns with the values and business strategy of Farmers Union Industries.
- Food Safety & Compliance Support
- Safety & Quality Records / Reporting
- Regulatory Compliance (Safety & Quality)
- Continuous Improvement & Strategy
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with the Food Safety Department and complex managers to update the SOP, HACCP and FSMA documents as product-related changes occur in the plant
- Assist complex managers and plant individuals to implement internal programs for product safety and quality control
- Report progress/status of program implementation to the manager of food safety, quality and regulatory compliance
- Ensure regulatory requirements are met for product safety and quality control and suggest corrective actions, as needed
- Maintain and organize all documentation for product safety, quality and regulation compliance for CBI and NLC plants
- Assist plant individuals in converting paper records to electronic files and upload to electronic filing system
- Check the accuracy and completeness of processing and environmental monitoring data, file name and format of daily logs
- Monitor any changes in the documentation requirements and report to the Food Safety Department in a timely manner
- Keep the electronic filing system well-organized and ready for external inspection and audit
- Assist the complex managers and plant individuals during internal and external inspections and audits
- Provide technical support with expertise in food safety, quality and regulation
- Provide technical support for Sales & Marketing R&D initiatives
Situations may arise that require employees to temporarily or permanently assume responsibility for tasks not specifically outlined in this job description. Employees may be requested to work additional hours and/or accommodate a heavier than normal workload
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, biology/microbiology, animal nutrition/veterinary, animal science, or related majors; or comparable years’ experience
- 1-2 years of experience in food industry with focus on developing SOP, HACCP and FSMA plans
- Very knowledgeable in food safety, quality and USDA regulations
- PCQI certification, desired
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills with high level of professionalism
- Strong sense of initiative and independent problem-solving with the ability to manage time and deadlines with little supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite – Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Travel up to 30%, annually
AA/EEO/Drug-Free Workplace. We use E-Verify.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.