JOB FILLED - Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory, Manager
Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry — starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers’ doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. Backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, and Sweetgreen, we've raised over $100M in funding and seek to build a company as healthy as the dogs we feed.
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
We are seeking a Manager of Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory. Ensure every customer can trust our brand to offer the highest quality product. Responsible for implementation of processes and procedures to support Quality Management Systems. Provide technical expertise in the area of responsibility and be able to function as SME in this area. Ability to effectively communicate all quality concerns/risks, improvements and strategies to the team. Support and work directly with our manufacturing partners, product development teams (internal and external), suppliers and fulfillment centers to create and optimize processes and verify all ingredients and products we produce meet our specifications, and are handled properly from supplier to customer.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Build and maintain dashboards to monitor food safety and quality Key Performance initiatives, aspiring to continually improve metrics.
- Conduct root cause analysis and implement corrective actions, ensuring we address all customer feedback and improve our customers’ experience with our products.
- Perform food safety, quality & regulatory risk assessments and audits to validate new manufacturing partners, suppliers and fulfillment centers
- Collect and study data to understand trends and issues in order to provide input to decisions related to product safety and quality. Collaborates with other functions to advance awareness and education of food safety and quality based on data collected.
- Manages activities related to reviewing, monitoring and assessing the integrity of a contract manufacturer’s adherence to our food safety and quality expectations.
- Consistently demonstrate a proactive approach towards complex solutions
- Expertise in problem solving skills with communication and influence skills to implement resolution.
- Leads cross functional teams to assure effective implementation and adherence to QA initiatives and process improvement of our contract manufacturers.
- Implements processes and procedures within the assigned technical area(s) of responsibility.
- Collaborate with and appropriately engages the support of subject matter specialists to assure regulatory compliance, food safety and quality.
- Experience collaborating with co-manufacturers and suppliers’ QA teams, product development teams, and external service providers.
- Provides technical data and decision-making support in managing situations and issues relative to quality and/or food safety.
- Collaborate directly with Product development, external manufacturers, supplier teams to ensure early management tools are used for all new product start-ups.
We're Excited About You Because
- 5+ years of Food Safety & Quality in human food and manufacturing experience in compliance with FSMA under GFSI standards, with a minimum of 5 years managing food safety programs at third party manufacturers.
- Knowledge of FDA and USDA regulations and documentation requirements and HACCP Certified required.
- Experience in Ms Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, and Access) and Google Docs (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms).
- Extensive knowledge of food product development and production processes.
- Travel required; 30% - 50% as needed.
- Concrete knowledge and application of crucial food safety principles.
- Excellent communication across all levels of an organization.
- Strong demonstration of Project Management skills.
- Proficient use of statistical and analytical tools, SPC, Minitab preferred.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village (upon a safe return-to-office!)
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Flexible PTO and WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in person-meetings) is now a feature, not a bug
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.