Food Safety & Quality Manager
What We're Looking For
At Eat Just, we believe everyone deserves to eat well. We are searching faster and further, working with rural farmers, Michelin-starred chefs and world-class product developers to find tools in the plant kingdom that will make our food tastier and healthier.
About the Role
As a Food Safety and Quality Manager, you will be responsible for providing strategic direction, implementation, and execution of all programs to ensure the safety, quality, and regulatory compliance of Eat Just branded products. You will demonstrate strong leadership skills, be highly collaborative, consistently proactive, engaged and persistent to find solutions and new ideas to achieve Eat Just company objectives.
The initial focus for the current opening will be on scale up and commercialization of the Eat Just Meat Cellular Agriculture program. This will include food safety and quality relationships with government agencies including the US FDA and USDA.
- Develop the food safety and quality strategy, provide the strategic direction, and coordinate the implementation and adherence of all necessary quality programs at manufacturing facilities (contract, external, and internal), warehouses, and raw material suppliers
- Drive cross-functional alignment between quality strategy and business strategy
- Ensure that Food Safety programs and systems are properly designed, effectively managed and comply with all applicable food regulations
- Manage and be accountable for the relationship with external and internal manufacturing quality departments and monitor performance against Eat Just procedures, product specifications, and relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Qualify, audit and review Eat Just manufacturing partners’ facility and quality systems to ensure compliance to our Food Safety Quality Assurance expectations
- Work in partnership with internal and external partner quality contacts to resolve quality issues and complaints in a timely manner
- Manage the Partner Corrective Action process, including review, trending and continual adherence to all CAPAs related to food safety and quality
- Work closely with the Product Development, Process Science, Cell Agriculture and Food Science teams to ensure food safety requirements and quality standards are incorporated to the development process
- Effectively identify food safety and quality risks in the product or process development process and communicate risks to cross-functional stakeholders while providing solutions to mitigate those risks
- Provide support during plant trials and production runs for product launches
- Ensure that new Eat Just manufacturing partners are successfully on-boarded and qualified prior to commercial production by working cross-functionally with internal and external partners; develop and coordinate any required testing, validation, and specific requirements as needed for on-boarding related activities
- Drive continuous improvement efforts with manufacturing suppliers and internal cross-functional stakeholders to ensure ongoing development and improvements to established quality programs
- Act as a subject matter expert for internal and external stakeholders as it relates to food safety and quality
This is not a comprehensive list and willingness and ability to shift responsibilities and focuses is a mandatory part of this role.
Education & Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Food Science, Microbiology, or similar degree with 8+ years of progressive food industry experience in food safety and quality assurance.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in leading a USDA regulated factory food safety and quality program of which includes quality systems design, management, and implementation. Complimentary FDA experience is preferable
- Experience in developing, implementing, and maintaining GFSI food safety and quality management programs and leading teams at a corporate and or plant level
- Experience with external auditing, risk identification and mitigation development, and comprehensive employee food safety and quality training
- Experience deploying and/or managing automated systems for documents and data
- Experience with cell culture, starter culture or fermented products is preferred
- Experience with environmental microbiology strongly preferred
Skills & Qualifications
- Creative approach to creating new approaches to resolving new challenges.
- Certified as a Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI).
- Better Process Control School certification is preferred
- In-depth knowledge of food microbiology, product sampling plans and environmental monitoring programs
- Knowledge of statistical applications including process control, data analysis, sampling and experimental design
- In-depth knowledge of USDA and FDA FSMA regulations, one or more GFSI schemes
- Excellent communication skills; ability to seamlessly work with cross-functional teams to set the gold standard for quality and food safety
- Confident in being a food safety expert which will require you to make business and quality risk-based decisions and recommendations based on scientific, regulatory and quality evidence
- Critical mindset of taking a proactive, tireless, and hands-on approach to achieve company objectives while taking a practical and systems-based approach to problem solving and prevention
- Creative approach to problem solving and collaboration across disciplines
- Ability to be accountable, highly adaptable, flexible and strict while maintaining the mindset of providing solutions as needed
- Ability to pass a standard background track
Additional Information & Requirements
This is a full-time position that will be temporarily remote until a return-to-office date, at which point will be onsite at Headquarters in San Francisco.
While there will be standard days and hours of work, the positions requires overnight on-call duty and the ability to work during non-standard hours when the need arises.
Eventually this role will require up to 50% both domestic and international travel.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Eat Just, Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.