Food Safety Supervisor
Can You Imagine Making AND Delivering Over ONE MILLION Sandwiches each week?
We Can and We DO!
The E.A. Sween Company, headquartered in Eden Prairie, MN and home of the Deli Express brand of delicious, fresh sandwiches, has a 100,000 square foot facility features a state-of-the art, USDA inspected production facility. Today, Deli Express is the #1 selling sandwich brand in convenience stores nationwide.
We are looking for a top notch Food Safety Supervisor for our Operations facility in Eden Prairie, MN. Please continue reading for more information about this position.
The purpose of this position is to provide supervision and guidance for the Microbiology and Environmental Monitoring Technicians. Maintain strong compliance and program oversite, assure the wholesomeness of our products by means of analytical testing of raw materials, equipment, environment and finished goods. Promote good manufacturing practices by providing educational resources. This position, along with all positions within the company, plays an active role in the company’s Lean initiatives.
This position reports to our Director of Food Safety.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Compliance & Program Oversite
- Responsible for maintaining, updating and developing Food Safety Plans and verification reports, etc. (Current Plans include - SQF, Military, USDA, FDA Seafood and FDA Food)
- Oversee microbiological testing, environmental swabbing, and investigations per the Excursion Response Document
- Assist in maintaining and testing a trace-recall program as needed
Maintain continuous improvement efforts for the following areas:
- Design studies to test microbial bioburden loads and sanitizer efficacy.
- Environmental Monitoring program; conduct annual review and propose changes as required.
- Microbiology lab with respect to testing and analysis performed, and methods applied.
- Hold and Test program; conduct annual review and propose changes as required.
- Complete pre-shipment reviews utilizing Redzone compliance software.
- Oversee AOAC testing and document results as available.
- Lead, develop and coach the QA team to achieve a high performance team oriented environment.
- Identify and provide effective educational materials / information to the Laboratory Staff that will serve to promote ongoing learning and growth within their roles
- Assure personal growth within the position
- Interacts and provides guidance to production-related personnel, R&D, Quality Control, AP, Field Sales Support, CLT, USDA, FDA, MN Department of Agriculture and Military in a professional manner.
- Participate in the SMM (Sanitation, Maintenance, Micro) weekly meetings and
- Provide support needed to research, test and/or modify new products/materials and/or equipment (from R&D).
Training and Mock-Recall
- Lead monthly HACCP/FSP meetings.
- Develop and submit an annual line item budget for the Microbiology lab. Review expenses by period highlighting changes for scheduled budget updates.
- Recommend capital purchases for Food Safety as needed during annual budgeting.
- Assure that all test procedures are efficient and cost-effective. Revise methods and SOPs as needed.
- BS degree in Food Science or a Life Science with 3-7 years of microbiology experience
- Supervisory experience – minimum 2 years
- Experience implementing HACCP principles and pre-requisite programs
- Knowledge of FSMA rules
- HACCP certificate required (Seafood HACCP certificate preferred)
- Be able to obtain SQF certificate within 1 year of hire
- PCQI certificate preferred, or obtained within 3 months of employment
- Must be able to work overtime, some rotating weekends, and early morning hours, depending on ongoing projects, production schedules, and Microbiologist staffing.
- Work with materials associated with microbiological analyses, and safely work with biohazard
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lb. waist high
- Must be able to remain on feet for up to 5 hours per day
- Must be able to work in a cold environment (-5 to 40F) and warm environment (70 to 100F) for extended periods of time as needed to monitor the production area
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance
- 401(k) with company match up to 8%
- 17 days of vacation 1st - 7th year
- Paid Holidays
- FREE Sandwiches!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Biz-Supervisor or better.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.