JOB FILLED - Quality Assurance Director
This position will be responsible for defining and advocating a culture of food safety throughout the organization, including providing strategic leadership and guidance on the company’s Quality Assurance and Food Safety programs. This position will also implement continuous improvements to enhance quality processes and enforce quality assurance and food safety policies company-wide, while adhering to compliance with regulatory agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the Quality Assurance department, overseeing the product safety assessment process to mitigate food safety risks and protect the consumer.
- Work closely with Production, R&D, Warehouse, Purchasing and other departments to provide guidance on, and assure implementation of, food safety programs and hygienic design of facilities and their equipment.
- Assuring compliance with Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and the effectiveness of the food safety program across the organization
- Ensure business relationships are developed and maintained with appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Serve as an SQF Practitioner, HACCP Coordinator and the subject matter expert (SME) for all food safety related trends, regulations, and legislation, while maintaining a high level of expertise on related subjects, to ensure full compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Lead company through third-party audits and inspections with SQF, FDA, and customers
- Conduct regular internal quality audits of plant systems, processes, and procedures for continuous improvement of quality and to ensure ongoing audit readiness and compliance to internal quality policies and applicable regulations through the audits, observations, process reviews, and development of corrective actions.
- Track, report, and review quality performance on a regular basis to drive continuous improvement
- Conduct effective root cause analysis and implement corrective action and preventive action
- Development and training of plant quality and sanitation team
- Conduct food safety, quality, and sanitation training for company
- Communicate all information for effective implementation and maintenance of quality audit processes including the need to report any food safety issues to personnel with authority
- Manage contracted services including lab testing, pest control and calibration
- Oversee compliance to food safety and quality programs including but not limited to: 1) Training of personnel to ensure competency to carry out functions affecting product legality, quality, and safety; 2) Ensure standard work through development of work documentation and training standards; 3) Development of test procedures to assure product quality; 4) Ensure out-of-specification products, materials, and ingredients are put on hold, investigations conducted, disposition determined, and issues resolved; 5) Adherence to GMP’s; 6) Safety – inspect work areas for safety hazards, observe employees’ safe work habits, fill out accident investigation reports and attend safety meetings, communicate and follow up to meet safety goals; 7) Manage shelf life and retention sample program; 8) Ensure plant environment, machinery and personnel meet sanitary requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in Dairy Science, Food Science, Microbiology or a related field
- 10 years professional experience in Quality Assurance in the food industry
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in food production and processing, quality assurance and regulatory compliance
- A Master’s degree in Food Science, Microbiology or other related sciences
- 5 years of experience in a management role
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.