Food Safety Intern
Position Summary: The Food Safety department is looking for a self-driven, energetic individual who is interested in learning how to apply their scientific knowledge in both retail foodservice and food manufacturing environments. This individual will work in both the corporate Food Safety department and as part of the Quality Control department at the Cumberland Farms onsite commissary. He or she will work closely with different departments on projects that are based on several company-wide initiatives.
1. Assist in making research based recommendations to the Foodservice Coordinator, Retail Operations teams and other internal customers.
2. Support the implementation and set-up of various corporate Food Safety programs.
3. Work closely with the Quality Control team at the company commissary; taking part in daily food safety and quality related tasks.
4. Assist in the investigation and documentation of customer and consumer complaints; work with supply partners and internal business partners to come up with robust corrective action plans.
5. Examine current and newer food safety regulations, identify gaps in compliance. Propose different methods for compliance.
Working Relationships: Strong interpersonal skills, willingness to actively collaborate with both internal and external customers.
Minimum Education: Rising junior or senior with a focus of study in Food Science, Microbiology or other Biological Science
Preferred Education: Rising Senior with prior intern or related work experience
Minimum Experience: N/A
Preferred Experience: N/A
Soft Skills: Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, Ability to solve complex problems and take initiative, Effective time management abilities
Other: This role will require a unique level of organization, time management and critical thinking skills. This candidate should be comfortable working within Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Excel, Word & Power Point)
Driving Requirement: This role may require the use of a company fleet vehicle. Candidate must have a clean driving record
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.