Food Safety Quality Engineer
Date: Sep 22, 2019
Location: Okmulgee, OK, US
Company: JM Huber Corporation
Portfolio Business: CP Kelco
CP Kelco is a leading producer of specialty ingredients which are added to improve texture, consistency, and stability in food, pharmaceutical and industrial products. Our products are derived from renewable raw materials found in nature for use in jam, fruit and milk drinks, confectionery products as well as industrial applications. We work across the whole value chain from natural raw materials to customers’ end products. CP Kelco is part of the JM Huber Corporation, one of the largest privately held, family owned companies in the United States. With approximately $2.3 billion in sales and 4,000 employees worldwide, we have a combined material presence in more than 20 countries.
As the Food Safety Quality Engineer reporting to the Quality Manager, your responsibilities are the following:
- Providing leadership and direction for cGMP and food safety engineering to Maintenance, Engineering, and Operations Departments.
- Overseeing the implementation of the facility’s food safety plan, HACCP to HARPC transition and assure facility meets FSMA Section 103 Preventive Controls and Supplier Controls regulatory requirement.
- Maintaining awareness of the food regulatory environment and emerging microorganisms of concern
- Providing support for: CAPA/Nonconformance Investigations, Customer Complaints and Audits and leads validation of corrective actions that meet CAPA closed-loop regulatory requirements of FDA registered food or pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities.
- Leading the plant Food Safety Management System to ensure compliance with regulatory, quality system and customer requirements. This includes a thorough evaluation of building infrastructure and expansion or upgrading facilities and food contact equipment to assure that quality and food safety are built into all new/upgraded equipment or structures.
- Leading facilities with focus on cGMP and adequacy of the areas after the completion of the work, supervision to ensure that all the work was completed, and improvements to meet the GMP guidelines/food safety, commissioning and validation activities and evaluation of HACCP plans/HARPC.
- Leading all product adulteration incident reviews and provides leadership in micro management and sanitation excellence.
- Strong knowledge of FSMA Preventive Controls requirement and development of Food Safety Plans with experience driving corrective actions of food safety issues
- Lead site quality and food safety risk assessments and management programs. Drive improvement projects to mitigate and address potential quality and food safety risks for the site.
- Capable of influencing people while managing issues with a wide variety of internal and external partners
Dimensions of the job include:
- As the Food Safety leader for the facility, work with the facility Quality Manager to drive implementation of the Global Food Safety Policy and improvements needed to meet final FSMA regulatory requirements.
- Communicate cGMP risk and improvements to the facility Quality Manager
- Is point person for Food Safety and FSMA and other regulatory requirement related questions for the facility
- Manage and focus directly on cGMP food safety engineering/food security and validation, in preparation for the commercial production of regulated products. Lead projects of facilities and equipment and optimization of existing manufacturing processes to deliver products with the production requirements consistent with the requirements of the regulatory FDA/Global products.
- Conduct gap assessment and establish (define, develop/implement) preventive control requirements and monitoring requirements to comply to FSMA regulations
- Support strategic plans for improvement of plant and processes, in order to increase efficiency, reduce costs, but make sure that quality, cGMP and food safety are designed in equipment before commissioning.
- Detail oriented with demonstrate ability to identify critical data and distill into business-focused technical recommendations
- Leading and delivering projects, monitoring progress against goals, identifies issues and takes corrective actions early.
- Ability to achieve quality and food safety results consistently despite obstacles
- Supporting the facility Quality Manager in continuous improvement activities of the Quality and Food Safety Management System
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the fundamental functions and responsibilities of the job as defined below:
- Lead validation function to ensure that facility, utilities and the qualifications of the process equipment are carried out to meet global regulatory requirements.
- Guide in the specification and selection of manufacturing/equipment and product contact surfaces and ensure that the equipment purchased meets the regulatory requirements of the product and packaging.
- Cultivate a high regards for cGMP and food safety as the leader to train employees to create awareness to meet regulatory requirements.
- Motivate, develop and recruit key employees for the facility food safety team. Build and maintain employee engagement, creating a culture of efficient execution and an environment in which individuals and teams can stand out and continuously improve and develop an awareness of quality, GMP and food safety.
- Maximize the success rate in production operations by recommending programs for preventive and predictive maintenance, and ensure that all SSOPs and HACCP plans/HARPC be reviewed and updated, if necessary.Support environmental protection programs, preventive maintenance and plant safety, metrology and industrial hygiene to work effectively and to meet the compliance requirements of Regulatory Agency.
- Optimize the documentation for quality systems engineering, cleaning and validation SOPS, SSOPs, HACCP plans and food safety policy and protocols.
- Lead incident reviews to investigate and correct microbiological, physical and chemical product non-conformities and provide recommendation regarding process design, product disposition and continuous improvement.
- Communicate with facility management and global food safety leader in order to identify and implement any equipment or resources needed for new processes
- Lead HARPC / Food Safety risk assessment for all new lines and as needed to update Food Safety Policy
The minimum skills and qualifications required for this position are:
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in Food Microbiology, Process Development and Quality and Food Safety Management Systems
- Bachelor of Science Degree (i.e. Process Engineering, Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Safety) required; Certified HACCP manager preferred; Certified in Food Preventive Controls preferred
- Knowledge of food microbiology, good laboratory practice, food safety controls, manufacturing processes, sanitary design, food law, cGMP, auditing, troubleshooting and microbiological test procedures is required.
- Experienced with implementing management systems in the CPG Industry-ISO 9001, 22000, 22002 background with accomplishments in design and implementation
- Demonstrated leadership in QA, Quality and Food Safety Management Systems, New Product Development and Food or Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Ability to lead constructive, positive change within a plant environment. to create awareness to Food Safety regulations and execute programs and achieve goals t meet regulatory requirements.
- Strong computer skills with proven proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and flowcharting software
- ASQ Quality Engineer Certification or ASQ Certified Black or Green Belt preferred
- Be able to display proficiency in developing mutual respect with operators, mechanics, fork lift drivers, etc in order to execute programs and achieve goals.
- Ability to be flexible with work hours, shifting priorities, ambiguity.
J.M. Huber Corporation is an EEO/AAP employer. Pre-employment drug screening is required.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.